Auto Updating an XLL through ClickTwice

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Auto Updating an XLL through ClickTwice

jim wade

Hi,

I am trying to set up an XLL project to use ClickTwice to Auto Update. I've read over the section in the Devloper Guide PDF, and the blog https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2015/02/12/autoupdate-office-addin/#clicktwice but it's still not working for me.

1. I am using the sample XLL solution adx_xl_cs_XLLAddin.
2. I added a VS Installer project.
3. I create a test function (TestFunction1) in the project.
4. I build the Solution.
5. I publish the adx_xl_cs_XLLAddin project. Under MSI-based Web Deployment, my installer file path is correct, and I create a network share for the Publishing location. Under Preferences/Updates, I select Enable Automatic Updates and This updater should check for updates Every Time Host Application Runs. Everything else I leave checked or unchecked by default.
6. After publishing, I manually install the first MSI created (1.0.0). I open Excel and version 1.0.0 of the add-in is installed.

At this point, the first version is working. I can see TestFunction1 in Excel. Now I want to make a change and auto update in when I open Excel. At this point it is not working.

1. I add another function (TestFunction2) to the adx_xl_cs_XLLAddin project.
2. I update the version number in the Assembly Info in the adx_xl_cs_XLLAddin project (1.0.1).
3. I update the version number in the Setup Project (1.0.1). When prompted I generated the new product code.
4. I build the solution.
5. I publish the adx_xl_cs_XLLAddin project. The new version (1.0.1) is added to the version_info.xml and the 1.0.1 folder with the MSI, EXE, and updater folder is in the Publishing location folder.

When I open Excel, the add-in does not trigger the auto update. No prompts or pop-ups.

Am I missing something? Am I missing a configuration in the Publish Preferences? The file path has full permission for Everyone. Installing manually works fine for any version created (provided I removed the previous one from Add/Remove Programs).
Posted 27 Oct, 2021 12:17:07 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Jim,

If you develop using .NET 2.0-3.5, the publish location should point to a local drive, not to a network share.

jim wade writes:
After publishing, I manually install the first MSI created (1.0.0).

You should start the downloader, not the .MSI.

Regards from Poland (CEST),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 28 Oct, 2021 09:05:34 Top
jim wade

Hi,

I am using .NET 4.6.

I started over, this time I ran the downloader from the network share, and it installs/updates if I run manually. But, it doesn't kick off when the application (Excel) starts. I even tried the option when the application closes, but it didn't work there either.
Posted 28 Oct, 2021 12:28:09 Top
jim wade

Hi,

I was able to get this to work by selecting the Check every: X minutes and checking the option Start updater when I start Windows.

This put the updater in the system tray, and when I compiled a new version of the XLL, I received a Windows message a few minutes later stating the new update was available. I was then able to Click Update and it would install the new version.

I think this will work better for us as an update option as opposed to opening/closing Excel.

Thanks for your help!
Posted 29 Oct, 2021 07:47:41 Top