Wrong location of custom pane with ADXOlExplorerLayout.TopReadingPane on Outlook x86

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Wrong location of custom pane with ADXOlExplorerLayout.TopReadingPane on Outlook x86

Yevhen Lysakov

Brief summary:
We have an addin which uses two panes, first, panel A with ExplorerLayout = ADXOlExplorerLayout.TopReadingPane; and another panel B with ExplorerLayout = AddinExpress.OL.ADXOlExplorerLayout.ReadingPane;

now on Outlook x86 versions we observe that panel A is displayed on top of reading pane. So when user switches to pane B he still sees pane A. While out expectation was that pane A would be always inside Reading pane.

This doesn't reproduce on Outlook x64.

Expected location of pane: [img]https://ibb.co/Tv677pL[/img]

Location observed on Outlook x86: [img]https://ibb.co/bWt9G8w[/img]

Addin express version - 9.5.4661.0

Outlook versions tested - 2016 and 2019

Have you seen such issue? Is there a way to fix it other then programmatically hide Pane A when reading pane is hidden by some other pane (which still is not perfect as technically there could be another Addin Express Addin installed in Outlook)

Side note:
When I've tested your sample addin on Outlook x64 - was working fine. But when I've disabled and enabled back our COM addin, suddenly pane was rendered in wrong location above the reading pane: [img]https://ibb.co/2W7mSfZ[/img]
But it reposition itself to correct location once you select different mail folder or open and close "File" menu
Posted 14 Sep, 2021 02:47:12 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Yevhen,

Does the issue persist if you turn off all other COM add-ins?

If yes, please provide the exact Outlook builds used. We'd also need to know the update channel through which you get these versions.

Regards from Poland (CEST),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 14 Sep, 2021 03:06:23 Top
Yevhen Lysakov

Hello Andrei.
Here we have installed Outlook exact version:
Microsoft Outlook 2016 MSO (16.0.14326.20062)
Please use https://download.cosiconsulting.com/d/aabc62e317/ to download sample add-in and screenshot
Posted 14 Sep, 2021 04:12:33 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Yevhen,

You've missed my question: Does the issue persist if you turn off *all* other COM add-ins?

I'm trying to identify that Office build. Please send me a screenshot showing the area to the right of the About Outlook button (don't click the button!). That area contains the version information; I'll need the complete version string.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 14 Sep, 2021 04:28:44 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Yevhen,

Actually, I've reproduced the issue on the current Office build.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 14 Sep, 2021 04:48:06 Top
Yevhen Lysakov

Yes, I've disabled all other addins and still can reproduce.
I looks like its not strickly related to bitness of Outlook.

I now have one machine with x86 Outlook 2016 pro with all updates installed where issue doesn't reproduce.

I'm glad you were able to reproduce the issue. Looking forward to your updates
Posted 14 Sep, 2021 05:08:06 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Yevhen,

If a pane is set to be shown in the TopReadingPane layout, and another pane is set to be shown in the ReadingPane layout, the expected behavior is: both panes are always shown. In particular, when you switch between the Reading Pane and the pane shown in the ReadingPane layout, the TopReadingPane should not hide; instead, it should be shown always.

We can't reproduce any issues on the current build of Outlook 64bit: both 32bit and 64bit Outlook works in the same way for us. We recommend that you make sure that your project uses Add-in Express assemblies of version 9.5. The project you've sent us uses Add-in Express 9.3.

I hope I've understood the scenario correctly.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 14 Sep, 2021 06:51:33 Top
Yevhen Lysakov

Indeed I had old version of Addin Express installed on my laptop, after updating to 9.5 is it now consistent with what you've described. So looks like inconsistency is caused by old Addin Express version and this was changed in some latest Addin Express versions.

So, since this is now an expected behavior we would have to hide pane with "TopReadingPane" layout programmatically when user switches from native reading pane to another pane with "ReadingPane" layout.

Thank you for support.
Posted 14 Sep, 2021 10:00:15 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

You are welcome!

Andrei Smolin
Posted 15 Sep, 2021 09:30:00 Top