ADX add-in disables other add-in

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

ADX add-in disables other add-in

gjvdkamp

Hi,

My add-in developed in ADX .Net disables another COM add-in, not sure what that has been developed in. When I deploy through clickOnce, the other COM add-in is disabled. Going to options > add-ins > COM, then ticking the box and restarting Excel brings it back. (It does not load correctly on a running Excel, it needs a restart)

I want to debug this and other conflicts so they'll run side-by-side, but when I press F5 in VS to run my add-in, this always disables the other add-in. (Can't do the options tick and restart, apparently F5 disables it again)

What could cause this? Are there GUID's or registry settings or something that might cause this conflict? Does ADX in VS change some settings in Excel before debug? Where could I look/ what could I change on my end to remedy this?
Posted 09 Sep, 2021 01:00:22 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello,

You start Visual Studio elevated. Accordingly, when you press F5, the Office application is started elevated, too. And Windows is designed so that an elevated process cannot access per-user COM classes if UAC is turned on (it is turned on by default); see https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-blog-archive/per-user-com-registrations-and-elevated-processes-with-uac-on/ba-p/228531.

Typically a COM add-in is a per-user COM class. Therefore, starting the Office application elevated effectively disables per-user add-ins.

You should debug your scenario via Debug | Attach to Process.

Regards from Poland (CEST),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 09 Sep, 2021 05:08:58 Top
gjvdkamp

Excellent the debugging worked.

Any ideas on what could cause one add-in to stop another from working? (In non-elevated mode). Have you seen cases where one add-in stops another from working?

What would be things I could look into? Even when I remove my own add-in, uninstall and re-install the other add-in it still does not work. It's quite peculiar, but we're seen as the culprit here and it is really important to me to have these side by side. The other add-in is Modano, you may know it.
Posted 09 Sep, 2021 08:52:54 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

gjvdkamp writes:
stops another from working?

1. How do you see that the other add-in stops working?
2. What is the minimal scenario?

I suppose both add-ins handle the same event and one of the add-ins (presumably yours) cancels some event while the other add-in expects that the event isn't cancelled. Anyway, there's an an event or a sequence of events that causes the issue.

I don't know about Modano.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 09 Sep, 2021 09:09:20 Top
gjvdkamp

Even when our add-in is removed and theirs is re-installed it does not work.. I don't know where to start investigating, it seems like it has to do with the loading part (where adxloader comes into play).
Posted 09 Sep, 2021 09:14:09 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

gjvdkamp writes:
Even when our add-in is removed and theirs is re-installed it does not work.

This like the other add-in has a problem of its own. But check whether the issue persists if you turn off *all* other add-ins.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 09 Sep, 2021 09:19:24 Top