ClickTwice, x86 MSI

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

ClickTwice, x86 MSI

Ionut Adrian

Hi there,

I have a question which I think is not really related to Add-in Express itself, but to msi deployment.

My setup:
- PowerPoint per-machine add-in (built for Any CPU)
- Visual Studio setup project (not wix) added through Add-in Express -> Create setup project menu (has target platform property set to x86)
- the DefaultLocation property of ApplicationFolder in msi setup project is set to [ProgramFilesFolder][Manufacturer] [ProductName]
- ClickTwice publishing

Is there any possibility to access [ProgramFiles64Folder]? The idea is to always install in "Program Files", not "Program Files (x86)" on x64 Windows.
I know that normally two setup projects must be created (one for x86 and one for x64) and a bootstrapper (exe file) that detects Windows bitness and launches the corresponding msi installation. But in this case, how can I use the ClickTwice publishing? This asks for a single msi file, in "Installer file" field.
ClickTwice works fine with the above setup, there are no issues, it is just a generic question to understand the possibilities of ClickTwice.

Thank you for your time!

Adrian
Posted 09 Jul, 2021 04:41:16 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Adrian,

Ionut Adrian writes:
The idea is to always install in "Program Files", not "Program Files (x86)" on x64 Windows.

This requires that you have two setup projects and installers: the x86 project deploys to [ProgramFilesFolder], the x64 project deploys to [ProgramFiles64Folder]. This allows you to have two bit-specific add-in assemblies (or you can still use the AnyCPU add-in assembly). Anyway, you'll need to deploy these installers using different ClickTwice "channels": you can't deploy two different installers using the same set of meta info.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 12 Jul, 2021 06:43:05 Top