Migration

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Migration
Windows 7 Visual Studio 2017 migration to Windows 10 Visual Studio 2019 
Michael Kaden

Hi Andrei,

I always said "never change a running horse", so I had trouble free programming time with my Windows 7 / Visual Studio 2017 setup. But as the AddIn become more complex, we decided to upgrade from

Windows 7 / Visual Studio 2017 to Windows 10 / Visual Studio 2019

When starting the project, I get the flowing notice

This version of Visual Studio is unable to open the following projects. The project types may not be installed or this version of Visual Studio may not support them.

For more information on enabling these project types or otherwise migrating your assets, please see the details in the "Migration Report" displayed after clicking OK.
- aleraSetup, "C:\01 Software Programming\01 aleraSoft & PG?\111 alera 201101\aleraSetup\2.0.0\aleraSetup(2.0.0).vdproj"

Non-functional changes required

Visual Studio will automatically make non-functional changes to the following projects in order to enable them to open in Visual Studio 2015, Visual Studio 2013, Visual Studio 2012, and Visual Studio 2010 SP1. Project behavior will not be impacted.
- alera, "C:\01 Software Programming\01 aleraSoft & PG?\111 alera 201101\alera.sln"

I assume if I would just make a new setup project, this would "cut of" the old users from updates?

Do you have a solution for this?

Thank you and kind regards

Michael
Posted 15 Feb, 2021 14:34:29 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Michael,

To install Visual Studio Installer in VS 2017-2019, visit https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualStudioClient.MicrosoftVisualStudio2017InstallerProjects

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 16 Feb, 2021 04:47:41 Top
Michael Kaden

Hello Andrei,

thank you very much for your assistance.

After following your post, I could open the solution including the SetUp project. However on build, I got an error
phxfatalerror
and about 2000 Warnings and 300 Messages.

As far as I could find out, the error is in connection with code analysis migration from legacy CodeAnalysis to source based CodeAnalysis. I migrated back as described on the following website.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/1252459/exception-of-type-phxfatalerror-was-thrown.html

The error went away, but I just wonder if it is advisable to migrate to source based CodeAnalysis? To do this without the error, i believe i have to wait on a Visual studio update, or do you have another solution for this?

The warnings and Messages are about VS code analysis such as Cyclomatic Complexity, unrecognized token, unused variables, preferring variables passed as resource table instead of string, pascal-casing convention, spelling recommendations or the recommendation to use compound assignments. So I will go through them and see which ones make sense to me. The use of compound assignments does not appeal to me I rather see the formula as is, for example:

Var = Var + 5

So far so good, the solution works again, but I would appreciate your recommendation if the code should be changed to avoid these warnings and messages?

Thank you again & kind regards

Michael
Posted 16 Feb, 2021 11:03:22 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Michael,

I'm unable to help you with this; I have no knowledge in this area. You should use Google or any other search engine to find a useful suggestion.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 19 Feb, 2021 03:04:39 Top