Vendor api requiring a specific app.config setting

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Vendor api requiring a specific app.config setting

Sandra Watt

Hi there,

I see there are a lot of posts about app.config, but in every case, people are trying to read appSettings. I don't need that, but I have a different need for app.config.

I've built my Outlook Add-in with Visual Studio 2019, C# .NET using the ADX Com Addin template. It works great.

I'm at the point where I need to call into a vendor's api. It is a couple of DLLs installed on the same system that I will reference in the solution. However, they also have this requirement:

green

How can I achieve this? When I build my addin, there is no app.config file in the output folder where I can add this.

Could I add it to the adxloader.dll.manifest file?

Or is there another way to "ensure your add-in uses COM Interop when calling..."?

Thanks much,
Sandra
Posted 22 Jan, 2021 15:09:50 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Sandra,

Please check section Configuring add-in; see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC. Note however that the app.config described in that section provides data for *your* code.

Some software requires settings to be specified in app.config of your add-in's host application. For Outlook that would be outlook.exe.config located in the Office folder. Creating and changing that file requires administrative permissions.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 25 Jan, 2021 03:38:41 Top
Sandra Watt

Hi! Sorry, I had a response written, then lost it.

In a nutshell, I think it's working putting that directive into my addin's app.config file. My call to the vendor's api gives an exception when I set it to false, and makes the call without an exception when I set it to true. So clearly, that setting is in fact being read and is taking effect.

Thanks!
Sandra
Posted 01 Feb, 2021 14:24:08 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Great!

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 02 Feb, 2021 02:03:24 Top