Publishing New Version Problem

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Publishing New Version Problem
new Version does not show in MSI based web deployment 
Michael Kaden

Dear Andrei,

I made a new version of the AddIn, changed the Version number by one increment in the SetUp and allwoed a new Product Code. Changed the Version number also in the Application assembly Information (I believe this has no importance). In the Application publish it only shows the previous Version and the old Product code. Following the output from the rebuild.

What am I missing?

Thank you & kind regards

Michael

1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: alera, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
1>C:\aleraSoft\111 alera 201101\XLLModule1.vb(37,26): warning BC40000: 'Public Overloads ReadOnly Property HostApplication As Object' is obsolete: 'The 'HostApplication' property is deprecated in the current Add-in Express version and will be removed in future releases.'.
1> alera -> C:\aleraSoft\111 alera 201101\publish\2.1.0.0\alera.dll
1> Running Code Analysis...
1> Code Analysis Complete -- 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
alera -> Sign alera.dll... Success
alera -> Sign adxloader.dll.manifest... Success
------ Starting pre-build validation for project 'aleraSetup' ------
------ Pre-build validation for project 'aleraSetup' completed ------
2>------ Rebuild All started: Project: aleraSetup, Configuration: Debug ------
Building file 'C:\aleraSoft\111 alera 201101\aleraSetup\2.1.0.0\aleraSetup(2.0.0).msi'...
WARNING: File 'adxloader64.alera.dll' targeting 'x64' is not compatible with the project's target platform 'x86'
WARNING: The version of the .NET Framework launch condition '.NET Framework 4.5.2' does not match the selected .NET Framework bootstrapper package. Update the .NET Framework launch condition to match the version of the .NET Framework selected in the Prerequisites Dialog Box.
Packaging file 'adxloader64.alera.dll'...
Packaging file 'adxregistrator.exe'...
Packaging file 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll'...
Packaging file 'stdole.dll'...
Packaging file 'AddinExpress.XL.2005.dll'...
Packaging file 'adxloader.dll.manifest'...
Packaging file 'AddinExpress.MSO.2005.dll'...
Packaging file 'Microsoft.Vbe.Interop.dll'...
Packaging file 'Office.dll'...
Packaging file 'alera.dll'...
Packaging file 'adxloader.alera.dll'...
Packaging file 'alera.ico'...
Starting post-build events...
Disable AllUsers Group action: The AllUsers group will not be shown in the 'Installation Folder' dialog.
Disable UAC action: The UAC popup window will not be shown for the MSI installer.
Impersonation action: The 'adxregistrator.exe' custom action will be run with the invoker's privileges.

Post-build events finished
========== Rebuild All: 2 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped =========
Posted 17 Nov, 2020 07:04:54 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Michael,

You have three warnings:
- We do not recommend using ADXXLLModule.HostApplication.
- Your 32bit setup project warns you that adxloader64.dll isn't 32bit. This is expected, though as Add-in Express needs to deploy both 32bit and 64bit loader.
- Your setup project warns you that the .NET version specified in the launch condition differs from the .NET version specified in prerequisites.

Hope this helps.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 17 Nov, 2020 07:36:06 Top
Michael Kaden

Thank you Andrei for the prompt reply.

I do not have any .NET Version specified in PreRequisited.The "Create setup programme to install prerequistes components" is UNTICKED.

I am aware of the three warnings, however I believe none of these will prevent the current Version and Product code to show in the publishing interphase.

So what else could it be?

thank you & kind regards

Michael
Posted 17 Nov, 2020 09:21:08 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Michael,

I'm sorry, I haven't noticed these details.

Make sure the project folder and subfolders are writable.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 17 Nov, 2020 09:46:28 Top
Michael Kaden

Thank you Andrei,

yes they are writeable by user and by administrator. I can safe the project manually. Also I think that a "rebuild all" would not be possible if file access is restricted? I can change the Version Number in the SetUp properties,and a new Project Code is asigned, but when I open the project AddInExpress Publish Interface, only the previous Versions are shown.

Thank you & kind regards

Michael
Posted 17 Nov, 2020 10:54:17 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Michael,

I assume you talk about ClickTwice = the tab MSI-based web deployment in the Publish dialog. If so, you are expected to select the new MSI; see the Installer File field.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 17 Nov, 2020 11:07:06 Top
Michael Kaden

Thank you Andrei,

This did the trick. I was running the project from a back up directory. Now I noticed that:

I have to adjust the msi file location.

I also have to adjust the Publishing location.This is especially important as I now work on two projects in parallel and it looks like the Publisher retains the last used publishing location of the last project opened?

Thank you & kind regards

Michael
Posted 17 Nov, 2020 11:39:44 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Michael,

Add-in Express writes settings to the {your add-in name}.msipublish file; see your add-in project folder.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 Nov, 2020 02:43:08 Top
Michael Kaden

Thank you Andrei, this answers my query about publishing which works fine now.

I would like to address the other warning which I get

Host.Application

- We do not recommend using ADXXLLModule.HostApplication.

I use many times in my code (example)

range1 = ExcelApp.Selection

This refers to

Public ReadOnly Property ExcelApp() As Excel._Application
Get
Return CType(HostApplication, Excel._Application)
End Get
End Property

Which is part of the ADX Code and is marked With

green

So what shall I do?

Thank you and kind regards

Michael
Posted 19 Nov, 2020 09:17:40 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Michael,

While Excel evolves, the way we used to get the Excel.Application object in the ADXXLLModule produces more and more issues. This is why we do not recommend using that property at all. I also expect that you know that Microsoft doesn't recommend performing Excel object model calls when your code is serving an XLL call.

A way out of this is to use the XLL object model (if this is possible and it isn't sometimes). Alternatively, you can execute your object model calls *after a delay* that allows your XLL code to complete. Check my responses on the forum; see https://www.add-in-express.com/search-addin.php?x=0&y=0&q=%22context+of+the+xll+call%22. Find an example at https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2011/10/11/invoke-excel-addin-xll/.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 19 Nov, 2020 09:49:38 Top