Installing COM Add-in to VDI

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Installing COM Add-in to VDI

kmcdowellLB

I have some users that install our COM addin on a windows 10 VDI, which runs office 2016. They noted that the add-in disappears from the excel add-in manager upon restarting the machine. I cannot figure out what exactly is going on here. I can see that the registry keys all seem to remain between logins, as well as the .dlls. But indeed, Excel seems to not know about the addin.

The add-in set up (the app used to register/unregister the addin) is also still on the machines. When launched, it prompts to install the add-in again, and will give a "Can't find Application in the system Registry" error, followed by a "Null reference Exception" error. Then, if I launch the set up again, I will see the usual Register/Unregistered buttons. Upon clicking the register button, i get a "Successfully registered" message, followed again, by a "Null reference Exception." After this point, the addin seems to be present again, but all app settings are reset.

I'm guessing the act of logging out of the VM resets something in the registry that causes the addin to disappear. But, all the registry keys seem to be there. (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\MyAddin). Any thoughts on how to investigate this further?
Posted 21 Sep, 2020 15:54:54 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Kyle,

Can those users have Office installed from Microsoft Store? Check https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2019/02/27/office-from-store-issues/.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 22 Sep, 2020 03:16:37 Top