Potential bug in ADXKeyboardShortcut

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Potential bug in ADXKeyboardShortcut

nwein

I can see that the ADXKeyboardShortcut SupportedApps property doesn't coincide with the ADXAddinModule's SupportedApps, meaning you could have word and excel as the supported apps for the add-in, but the shortcut supported apps will have outlook (for example).
Is this by design? Shouldn't the shortcut always be the same or less than the addin?
Posted 10 Jun, 2020 09:11:01 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Nir,

They may not coincide. This is by design.

Actually this is an extra degree of freedom. You can find the same approach implemented by other components.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 10 Jun, 2020 09:16:59 Top
nwein

So does that mean that in the above example, even though my add-in will be deployed only on Excel and Word, the shortcut will work in Outlook?
If so, it's interesting, since Outlook (again, in this example), doesn't need to be closed when installing/updating the add-in.
Posted 10 Jun, 2020 09:29:56 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

This means *if* your add-in would be ever loaded in Outlook, the component will start working. An add-in (or component) loaded in one Office application can't work in another Office application.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 10 Jun, 2020 09:45:14 Top
nwein

I see. I still find it a bit confusing as I wouldn't have known about it unless I've asked here.
Can't you just propose to add supported apps to the components when you modify the supported apps in the main addin module? Something similar to the prompt you get when you add a new ribbon item and it asks if you want to associate it in the same way as the other ribbon items (or something in that line, I can't remember, but I do remember seeing this prompt before).
Posted 10 Jun, 2020 09:57:05 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Nir,

Of all components providing the SupportedApps property, only Keyboard Shortcut is used widely. But the CommandBar component, it uses the very same approach. As to Ribbon components, I assume you refer to changing the Ribbons property: if you change it on a container such as tab, group, menu, etc., you'll get a message box asking you whether to change the Ribbon properties on its child components or not. This is a bit different because the relation between Ribbons and supported applications isn't simple.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 11 Jun, 2020 01:49:23 Top