Problems with "per machine" .msi

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Problems with "per machine" .msi
Installing the AddIn on local machine needs highest admin permission. 
Bobby M.

Hi Add-In Express Team,

we have a problem with the "PerMachine" .MSI package we've created for our AddIn.
We've noticed that if we want to install the .MSI package it requires the highest permission for installation.
So only the Domain Admin or the local admin can install the .msi
If we try to install the .msi package with a user, who has the admin role. It does not work.
The installation finish without any errors, but if we start outlook we don't see our AddIn.

Is it possible to role out or install the AddIn without DomainLevelAdmin or Local Machine Admin permissions?
Posted 18 May, 2020 05:43:16 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Bobby,

A per-machine installer must be run elevated. The best way to achieve this is to start setup.exe. If you've followed the steps listed in section Deploying a per-machine Office extension via an MSI installer - see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC - starting setup.exe triggers an UAC dialog on a system with UAC enabled. Once you enter login/pwd of an administrator on that machine, the installer deploys the files and runs the custom action(s) specified.

This doesn't require you to be a domain admin or something. You must be an admin on that machine. This is required for the installer to create folders and files in Program Files and to create registry keys in HKLM.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 18 May, 2020 07:26:48 Top
Bobby M.

Hi Andrei, thx for your quick response. :-)

This is actually the problem:
You must be an admin on that machine.
. We considered that you need to have "higher" administration permission. There is a difference between the local machine Administrator(which is the default Administrator Account, when you installed windows 10) and an user who has the administrator role, which is a part of our administration group of our Active Directory. We are not able to install our AddIn with the administrator role user, we need to do it with the local machine administrator account or a domain level administrator account.

Maybe this helps you to understand my problem:
https://superuser.com/questions/522749/using-runas-with-administrator-account-versus-other-admin-accounts
Posted 19 May, 2020 05:16:06 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Bobby,

This is beyond me. I don't know if a solution exists.

Our admin told me: the administrator created by Windows is pre-added to the Administrators group; he never saw a difference between the default administrator and a custom administrator added to the Administrators group.

I'm sorry, I don't know whether the above is relevant to your case.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 19 May, 2020 07:51:18 Top