MSI Installer Issue with app.config file

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

MSI Installer Issue with app.config file

kmcdowellLB

Hi,

Using this https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2017/11/10/updating-office-addins-automatically/ guide, I created a setup project. Everything seems to build just fine. However, when I install using this project, I get a startup error that I don't get when using simple Click-Once deployment.

The startup error I get is from the ConfigurationManager.

Exception Source: System.Configuration
Exception Type: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException
Exception Message: Unrecognized configuration section userSettings.

It seems that something goes wrong with installing the app.config file and when the app tries to read a connection string, I hit this error. Again, I don't get any such error when launching my add-in after installing from click-once.

Any suggestions on how to proceed troubleshooting this? I feel like there must be something fundamental about .config files and installing using MSI that I don't understand.

Thanks for you help!
Posted 31 Mar, 2020 22:14:20 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello,

kmcdowellLB writes:
However, when I install using this project, I get a startup error that I don't get when using simple Click-Once deployment.

I've installed that add-in, updated it and I don't see the error.

Can it be that that add-in is already installed? Or, it was installed previously and it is still listed in a folder under C:\Users\{user profile}\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 01 Apr, 2020 01:48:36 Top
kmcdowellLB

Okay, I got it figured out. I simply needed to manually add my app.config file to the setup project (via right-click on setup project > add > file > select my config file.

My next question is regarding updating my app.

When I update my app and change the version number in the assembly and I'm ready to publish, am i supposed to Version property of the Setup project? I notice that if I don't do this, and I try to publish, my new app version doesn't show up in the publish dialog.

Thanks,
Kyle
Posted 01 Apr, 2020 21:21:24 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Kyle,

You should update the setup version number if you use ClickTwice.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 02 Apr, 2020 02:53:32 Top