Administrative Access

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Administrative Access

Siddharth Rout

Hi

I created a setup file and ensured that InstallAllUsers = False

When the Add-in setup is installed without running it as Administratior, the code in the workbook open event fails. If I run it as an Administrator then the Add-in works just fine.

Here is the error message

Exception Type:        System.NullReferenceException
Exception Message:     Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Exception Target Site: AdxExcelAppEvents1_WorkbookOpen

---- Stack Trace ----
   EBMOfficeBridge.AddinModule.AdxExcelAppEvents1_WorkbookOpen(sender As Object, hostObj As Object)
       EBM Office Bridge.DLL: N 0062 (0x3E) IL 
   AddinExpress.MSO.ADXExcelAppEvents.DoWorkbookOpen(workbook As Object)
       EBM Office Bridge.DLL: N 0018 (0x12) IL 

How do I get my add-in to run without administrative access?

Regards

Sid
Regards

Siddharth Rout
Founder
XPIZON

[Skype]: XPIZON, [Email]: srout@xpizon.com, [Website]: www.SiddharthRout.Com; www.xpizon.com
Posted 26 Mar, 2020 15:48:40 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Sid,

A newly created add-in project doesn't require administrative permissions. Make sure you follow the instruction provided in section Deploying a per-user Office extension via an MSI installer; see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 27 Mar, 2020 01:39:49 Top
Siddharth Rout

Hello Andrei

Yes I went through the pdf file. Here is what I did. Let me know if you spot something incorrect.

1. Started Visual Studio with Administrative Right (because point 3 below needs that access)
2. Created my Add-in
3. Registered my Add-In
4. Ran it from VS to check if it works
5. Unregistered my add-In
6. Right Click on my project. Add-in Express | Create Set Up Project
7. Build my project
8. Build my Setup

Thanks again

Sid
Regards

Siddharth Rout
Founder
XPIZON

[Skype]: XPIZON, [Email]: srout@xpizon.com, [Website]: www.SiddharthRout.Com; www.xpizon.com
Posted 27 Mar, 2020 02:12:42 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Sid,

It's okay. Does the installer work?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 27 Mar, 2020 02:15:01 Top
Siddharth Rout

Oh yes it works. If I run the installer as an Admin then the
AdxExcelAppEvents1_WorkbookOpen
fires correctly and there is no error.

If I directly install the Add-in without any admin access, then the above code gives the error message which I shared in my 1st post
Regards

Siddharth Rout
Founder
XPIZON

Posted 27 Mar, 2020 02:21:07 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Sid,

You shouldn't start the installer of a per-user add-in via the Run As Administrator option.

Can it be that you changed the RegisterForAllUsers property and registered the add-in? If yes, uninstall the add-in, unregister it from the Visual Studio IDE, revert the RegisterForAllUsers property and unregister the add-in once again.

Does the issue persist if you create a new empty add-in project, drop an Excel Events component onto the add-in module and handle the AdxExcelAppEvents1_WorkbookOpen event to show a message box?

If yes, please reinstall the test add-in as user, start Excel and send me 1)adxloader.log and adxregistrator.log files; see {user profile}\AppData\Local\Temp\<ProductName>\ and 2) the complete project folder (with the installer). Find the support email address in {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt. Make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 27 Mar, 2020 02:38:20 Top
Siddharth Rout

Let me try it and get back to you once my client calls are over. Thanks for staying with me on this Andrie.
Regards

Siddharth Rout
Founder
XPIZON

Posted 27 Mar, 2020 02:58:15 Top
Siddharth Rout

Thank you that helped Andrei.

My default setting is that VS starts with Admin Rights. I removed that and ran VS without Admin Rights. I then rebuild the project and the project setup. It seems to be working fine now. I have sent the setup to my client for testing. Will wait for the client feedback. But I guess it should be sorted now.

Will get back if there is an issue.

Thanks again for your help. :)
Regards

Siddharth Rout
Founder
XPIZON

Posted 27 Mar, 2020 05:24:30 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Sid,

Starting Visual Studio via the the Run As Administrator option is recommended if you need to debug the add-in.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 27 Mar, 2020 06:13:00 Top