HRESULT = -2146234105

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

HRESULT = -2146234105
Define HResult Com Error 
Neenarg

Hi All - I'm a new user (both to VS 2005 and ADX 2.7) :D

I've tried to follow the guidelines for the 'I made this'/hello world style add-in, read as much as I can through the additional documentation and deployment guide and also in the forums but I always get an error when I try to register the add-in. I also tried to clear out the registry by searching for MyAddin.

I am trying to use the ADX loader method, but when I open Excel (version XP) I get an ADX loader error as follows:

blue

Anybody know the cause of this particular problem? Maybe more to the point does anyone know how to correct it!? ;)
Posted 17 Nov, 2006 06:29:42 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Neenarg.

I have a couple of questions.

Have you installed the latest ADX version (v2.8) yet?
Was the add-in created using the previous ADX version v2.7?

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them. Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.
Posted 17 Nov, 2006 10:11:07 Top
Neenarg

My apologies I noted the version incorrectly, I am using v2.8 of ADX.

Just to clarify, I get no errors from VS 2005 + ADX, only when I open Excel after registering the add-in.

I have re-read the deployment guide but the wizard seems to have everything set already for the adx loader.

I have also tried it on another pc with a totally clean install of VS 2005 and ADX and get the exact same error.

I'm pretty sure I will have missed doing something or changing a setting somewhere but I can't figure out where/what. :(

Any ideas?
Posted 19 Nov, 2006 04:32:17 Top
Neenarg

:D Have got it working on another machine, same straight-forward install but with Office 2003 instead. (Sweet!)

I still have the issue on the Office XP installs though ... Is there a setting on Office 2000/XP which could be causing this?

I have tried on Office 2000 and get the exact same runtime error. The add-in appears (XP and 2000) unticked in the COM add-ins list.

So it would appear there is nothing wrong with the build or loader and the problem may be with the Office installs - but what could it be as it seems to work on an install of 2003 with no problems but not on installs of Office 2000 and XP?

Is this something to do with versions of the .Net framework? I was not sure so I removed version 1.1 and left version 2. I now get a different runtime error blue?

Or perhaps PIA's?
Posted 19 Nov, 2006 11:17:41 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Neenarg.

What PIAs do you use in the add-in project?

Do you include the 'Shared Add-in Support Update for .NET 2.0' prerequisite in the setup project? If so, you need to run the setup.exe file to install the add-in. Otherwise, the update will not be installed on the PC.
Posted 20 Nov, 2006 12:58:33 Top
Neenarg

Thanks for the reply again Sergey.

I am not specifying anything else PIA or otherwise, just using the wizard. So I have plain installs of office XP or 2000; VS 2005; ADX 2.8.

So long as I have followed things ok this is the declaration from the wizard for the PIA.

blue System.RunTime.InteropServices
blue System.ComponentModel
blue Excel = Interop.Excel

The Interop.Excel.dll file is version 1.3.0.0

You've lost me on the "Shared Add-in Support Update for .Net 2.0" - where is this - Have I missed a pre-requisite document somewhere?

Again thanks for putting in the time to help me figure this out.
Posted 21 Nov, 2006 08:04:18 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Neenarg.

If you have Office 2003 installed on the development PC, the Interop.Excel.dll assembly is the automatically generated PIA for Office 2003. In this case you can install the add-in for Excel 2003 only.
Based on your requirements you need to install Office 2000 and create a new Excel PIA using the ADX wizard.
As to the update, please open the Properties dialog of the setup project and click on the Prerequisities button. Is the update checked in the list?
Posted 22 Nov, 2006 10:02:25 Top
Neenarg

OK, thanks - I will try a clean install of Office 2000 and ADX and let you know what happens.

The Shared Add-in Support Update for .Net 2.0 is there ticked when I click 'Prerequisites' but with a warning "red" and a reference to [URL=http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908002]blue[/URL].

I downloaded the file on the article and installed it and the warning has disappeared.

I will recreate a new add-in soon and, again, will let you know what happens.

Feeling like it will all fit into place very soon .. (I did warn you I was a beginner!)

Thanks Sergey. :)
Posted 22 Nov, 2006 13:35:08 Top
Neenarg

To get it working I started from the beginning and closely followed your instructions and checked for the different issues as I went.

(I have repeated them below for simplicity and clarity if other 'newbies' like me hit the same issues.)

This was to:
green

And no surprise, it all worked perfectly!
Sergey, thanks for pointing me in the right direction and again for all your help.
Posted 27 Nov, 2006 19:26:40 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Neenarg.

Good luck!
Posted 28 Nov, 2006 11:21:32 Top