Integrating Add-in express outlook add-in in existing WiX installer.

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Integrating Add-in express outlook add-in in existing WiX installer.
Integrating Add-in express Outlook add-in developed using .net in the existing product installer 
Omkar Deshpande

Hi,

We have developed Outlook add-in using add-in express and C#. We can create and install the new add-in using the Wix installer supported by add-in express.
But We want to integrate the new add-in into our existing installer. The existing installer is also WiX based.
This existing installer installs a product along with one existing Outlook add-in developed in COM. We want to install new Outlook add-in along with the old one from same installer.
To achieve this, We want to add the New add-in developed using add-in express as a WiX fragment in existing WiX project. Based on the user input, installer will decide to install new addin or not(this will be done in existing WiX project).
We want to install this add-in as a per machine installation. We do not want extra checks like admin rights/disk space etc as those are already taken care off. So we do not want extra UI validations on this, just installing and registering bare minimum DLLs(32 and/or 64 bit) required to run the new add-in.
We do not want separate product entry into the control panel. 2 entries in Outlook Add-ins are OK.
Can you please provide me the any documentation of this or a WXS file?
P.S.: I am newbie to the WiX. :)

Thanks,
Omkar
Posted 19 Dec, 2019 23:51:35 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Omkar,

Since you are going to install the add-in per-machine, make sure adxloader.dll.manifest is writable, click the designer surface of the add-in module, switch to the Properties window, set RegisterForAllUsers=true, let Add-in Express generate a setup project for your add-in. Once the setup project is created, use it (both Product.WXS and the .wixproj file as the source of information that you need to merge with your other setup project.

Omkar Deshpande writes:
Can you please provide me the any documentation of this or a WXS file?

No, this is impossible. You need to do this yourself.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 20 Dec, 2019 04:02:26 Top
Omkar Deshpande

Thanks Andrei for response. I was unaware of the RegisterForAllUsers property. I have changed it and after creating set up project, WXS size is drastically reduced. Now I will try to use the WXS and wixobj files to merge with my existing WiX project.
In your response, you have mentioned that "make sure adxloader.dll.manifest is writable". Can you please let me know in which cases this file needs to be written/updated after installation?
As the product will be installed in program files directory by admin user, non-admin user may not have write access to the location. Does this file gets updated while normal user is using new Outlook add-in?

Thanks,
Omkar
Posted 20 Dec, 2019 04:50:13 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Omkar Deshpande writes:
I have changed it and after creating set up project

This should be done the other way: modify the property first, create a setup project then. Changing the property changes the manifest: this is why the manifest must be writable.

Omkar Deshpande writes:
WXS size is drastically reduced

This is of no importance.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 20 Dec, 2019 04:57:16 Top
Omkar Deshpande

Yes, I have deleted previous setup project, then changed the property and after that I have created setup project.
Posted 20 Dec, 2019 05:40:12 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Okay.

Omkar Deshpande writes:
Can you please let me know in which cases this file needs to be written/updated after installation?

No such cases exist.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 20 Dec, 2019 06:07:15 Top
Omkar Deshpande

Thanks Andrei,

I am able to convert the MSI to MSM and integrate into the existing installer.
I loved the way you guys respond: "quick and precise".
Posted 31 Dec, 2019 01:12:45 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

You are welcome!

Andrei Smolin
Posted 02 Jan, 2020 03:13:11 Top