Hanging adxregistrator.exe

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Hanging adxregistrator.exe

Henjo van Rees

Hi, I have a project that is registered with adxregistrator.exe.

Suddenly something is strange with adxregistrator.exe:

- Running "adxregistrator.exe /install=Assembly.dll /privileges=admin" registers our plugin
- The adxregistrator.exe proces itself keeps running (I still see the process in task explorer
- The adxregistrator.exe process does seem to exit, but when running with "/returnExitCode=true" it returns exit code 123

Is there any way to know what it causing this?
What we experience is that our installer does not exit, it is hanging when registering the plugin.
Posted 02 Dec, 2019 03:17:29 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Henjo,

Please reproduce the issue and send me (or copy here) the adxregistrator.log created/updated. You can find the support email address in {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt; make sure you email contains a link to this topic.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 02 Dec, 2019 03:50:29 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Henjo,

Thank you for the log file. It shows that you register your COM add-in and XLL add-in when the add-in is being installed. I doubt that this is what causes the issue but you should know that an Excel add-in is a per-user thing and no exception exists to this rule; I mean Excel add-in, not COM Add-in supporting Excel: COM Add-ins may be per-machine or per-user as required. As to Excel add-ins, registering an Excel add-in on the per-machine basis is incorrect.

As to the issue, it looks like adxregistrator.ex is hold by something; it may be your code that holds it. Is it possible that there's a message box (an error message for instance) that you don't see? Is the issue reproducible if you create a new empty add-in project?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 02 Dec, 2019 05:40:41 Top