Install all users or just me option not shown while set up

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Install all users or just me option not shown while set up

Indika samarasekara

i have created a set up with needed property but i cannot get the 'Everyone' or 'Just Me' option when installing.

Please check the issue with details in the word doc @

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NVfPTTBAdnXnLcejL3L5kf55sXnMMDj0

also i noted that addinexpress log not available in the [user]\document folder.
Posted 29 Nov, 2019 06:05:06 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Indika,

That option is hidden by adxpatch.exe which is invoked by the PostBuildEvent of the setup project. Note that clearing that property is not recommended.

As to setup projects allowing the end user to select the installation type, this is supported if you use WiX. See also section Dual-Purpose Installers; see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 29 Nov, 2019 06:24:00 Top
Indika samarasekara

Yes exactly, i noticed my PostBuildEvent has below line, upon removing below line can see the options now, since user it asking for it i need to give it.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Add-in Express\Add-in Express for .NET\Bin\adxpatch.exe" "$(BuiltOuputPath)" /UAC=Off /RunActionsAsInvoker=true

ill have a look at the Wix option

Thanks Andrei.
Posted 29 Nov, 2019 07:58:35 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Welcome!

Andrei Smolin
Posted 29 Nov, 2019 08:07:12 Top
Indika samarasekara

hi Andrei,

in WIX too i cannot see the option when creating the set up the option is disabled, why WIX the difference compared to VS set up proj, the UI version is needs to payed for.

why not the normal VS set up can do this.

i want to install for all user with the standard MS installler.

product.wxs has the below.

<Package AdminImage="no" Comments="InterplanExcelAddIn" Compressed="yes" InstallerVersion="200" InstallScope="perMachine" Languages="0,1033" Manufacturer="CAMMS Group" Platform="x86" ReadOnly="no" ShortNames="no" SummaryCodepage="1252" />

<Custom Action="VSDCA_FolderForm_AllUsers" Sequence="997"><![CDATA[Installed="" AND NOT RESUME AND ALLUSERS=1]]></Custom>
Posted 29 Nov, 2019 11:15:44 Top
Indika samarasekara

Hi - i simply want to install for all users, with the default Ms setup project with the PostBuildEvent [as it is since once i remove it i cannot see the excel addin loading for Excel], with out purchasing Wix.

Is this possible?
Posted 01 Dec, 2019 21:18:07 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Indika,

Indika samarasekara writes:
with out purchasing Wix

WiX is free. Download and install (see https://wixtoolset.org/releases/):
1) WiX Toolset 3.11.2
2) WiX Extension for Visual Studio {your VS version here}

I assume you have a per-user add-in project. Let Add-in Express generate a setup project for it: make sure you choose creating a WiX setup project and select the "Generate dual purpose setup project" check box.

Build the setup project. Start setup.exe, choose "Everyone" or "Just me" and go through the remaining steps of the installer. If "Everyone" is chosen, UAC is triggered. Also, if you start setup.exe elevated (= via "Run as administrator") the installer is started with "Everyone" or "Just me" disabled and "Everyone" pre-selected.

i simply want to install for all users, with the default Ms setup project with the PostBuildEvent

This contradicts to your "i cannot get the 'Everyone' or 'Just Me' option when installing".

If you need to let the user choose whether to install the add-in per user or per machine, see the instruction above.

To install your add-in per machine, check section 'Deploying a per-machine Office extension via an MSI installer'; see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 02 Dec, 2019 02:44:35 Top
Indika samarasekara

1. yes sorry, i want the 'Everyone' or 'Just Me' option when installing
2. Wix is free but i was confused with this version
https://www.add-in-express.com/downloads/wix-designer.php
3. That option when creating the setup from add in too disabled for some reason please check he doc below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1s9JyFFkDSpRpcq1gRhzVPLfDtTXKxgcV

Thanks.
Posted 02 Dec, 2019 03:10:24 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

That option when creating the setup from add in too disabled

Your add-in project must be per user for that option to be enabled: make sure adxloader.dll.manifest is writable and set RegisterForAllUsers=False on the add-in module.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 02 Dec, 2019 03:47:41 Top