Click Twice Deployment

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Click Twice Deployment

ewessely

Hi,
currently I'm experimenting with the click twice deployment and have some questions:

1) Publish (without prerequ.) version 1.0.0 via click twice generates <myAddin>.exe (the downloader as far as I understand). Executing this will lookup in version_info.xml, downloads the msi and performs installation.
Now publish version 1.0.1. When using the downloader from version 1.0.0 for a fresh installation, I would expect (because it's looking for the version_info.xml) that version 1.0.1 will be installed (because it's newer). But it's installing 1.0.0 and you will get an update to 1.0.1.
Background: I would like to keep the downloader as static as possible as I've troubles with some AV software to get rid off the false positive (different downloader have differnt hash)

2) In version_info.xml there is an attribute "updateType". I found out when I set the switch "create setup.exe" for the prerequ. it will show "bootstrapper". Other values I've found playing around with publishing are "webPage" and "directLink".
What is the difference?
Which setting in the wizard does control this value in the xml?
I always publish with a valid Installation URL (https:...) and "Enable automatic updates" but see both values in my version_info.xml

3) is there a cause why the MSI is only signed sha1, but the downloader signed sha1 and sha256 (as set in the wizard)?

4) To reduce and bypass problems with AV (downloading exe from web) and Smartscreen, I tried to provide a zip containg the downloader and on the target PC you can download the zip and run the downloader from that (msi is downloaded from the web)
This is working, but I would like to get your confirmation that this is a valid way.

Many thanks for clarifying and
Best regards

Erich
ew
Posted 21 Nov, 2019 05:49:41 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Erich,

1. Every version has a downloader of its own. This is by design and this cannot be changed.
2. This is influenced by prerequisites (existing or missing) as well as by the option "CheckForMSIUpdates() will return the string you enter here"; see the Updates tab. Note that on the Publisher tab you can choose to generate a .config file: play with the settings, publish and check the file.
3. MSI doesn't support SHA1 *and* SHA256 used simultaneously. SHA1 is used for compatibility.
4. This is a valid way.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 21 Nov, 2019 10:16:14 Top
ewessely

Hello Andrei,

thanks for clarification.

ad2) now I'm able to reproduce why I can't figuer out the corresponding option: I've played around with the "CheckForMSIUpdates":
If "Enable automatic updates" is NOT set and you enter a string in CheckForMSIUpdates then the updateType is "WebPage"
If "Enable automatic updates" IS checked AND CheckForMSIUpdates is empty then updateType is "directLink"

But: If you enter a string in "CheckForMSIUpdates" (because of playing around) and then check "Enable automatic updates", the "CheckForMSIUpdates" will be disabled (still containg the string) and the updateType keeps "WebPage".
Maybe an idea for the next release ;-)

Again, many thanks for clarifying and your prompt replay!

Erich
ew
Posted 21 Nov, 2019 10:39:48 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Erich,

Thank you! In this case a different approach is used and the updateType is ignored.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 25 Nov, 2019 05:18:31 Top