A "for info" - Gmail and PropertyAccessor on IMAP don't mix

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

A "for info" - Gmail and PropertyAccessor on IMAP don't mix
Using PropertyAccessor while Sending emails through GMAIL 
Pino Carafa

Hello Andrei,

This is just one that's "good to know". I'm not looking for any "solution" to this as it's clearly Gmail that's causing the problem.

I created an Outlook profile pointing at GMail using IMAP

I sent a message and the message is processed through ItemSend

In ItemSend I set a Property through the PropertyAccessor.

The email arrives in the Sent Items and I try to read the same Property from the PropertyAccessor. A COMException is raised as the requested Property cannot be found.

I then created another Email address through Zoho. Once again I set up IMAP access and I do the exact same thing. This time it works fine. From the Sent Item by a ZOHO account it can find the Property without a problem from the PropertyAccessor.

So it looks like Gmail decides to strip out Properties it doesn't like while processing an email for sending. I can't think of another explanation....
Posted 22 Oct, 2019 07:48:06 Top
Pino Carafa

And Zoho has its own problems... I created an outlook profile looking at Zoho through IMAP and I found that Sent Items appeared TWICE in the "Sent" folder. Here I am hacking away at my add-in trying to figure out where I'm messing up.... and then I had the bright idea to remove ALL add-ins including my own.

And the Sent items are STILL doubled

It would be funny if it weren't so tragic.

I think we'll give our IMAP customers VERY limited functionality after this :-)
Posted 22 Oct, 2019 08:53:41 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Pino,

IMAP folders is an Outlook store flavor such as PST and Exchange. The problem is: IMAP folders are implemented by third-party vendors. And what you see is a result. Please be sure that other IMAP Folders providers will have issues of their own.

I think we'll give our IMAP customers VERY limited functionality after this :-)

It may be possible to have one more provider-specific add-in or even a set of VBA macros that might solve some of provider-specific issues. This is a very long way with no guarantee of success, though.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 23 Oct, 2019 03:31:29 Top
Pino Carafa

"This is a very long way with no guarantee of success"

Indeed. And considering that we primarily cater for people using Exchange I don't think we should "bust a gut" trying to placate every IMAP implementation out there. I might spend a little time looking at an IMAP connection to an Exchange server (why would anybody do that though)..... A *little* time. :-)
Posted 23 Oct, 2019 07:22:18 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Pino Carafa writes:
for people using Exchange

Exchange is an area bigger than you can think of. https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/aspnet/en-US/901d03a3-8e9b-4d27-8c91-76f876ec38fe/outlook-2016-produces-an-extra-itemchange-event-after-an-appointment-is-created?forum=outlookdev.

Right now I try to find a solution to the issue with conflicts from your other thread. The project quickly becomes a bit too big; the bit is growing as well. One more case of "no guarantee of success".

Andrei Smolin
Posted 23 Oct, 2019 07:53:58 Top
Pino Carafa

<little voice> Help.

Thankfully our interaction with Appointments is not nearly as ambitious as what we're trying to achieve with Emails. I think I'll take this as a fair warning to not try to do too much there, either!

As for my original post.... A friend of mine suggested, when I mentioned that we added Properties through the PropertyAccessor with names like "CaseReference" that perhaps Gmail is being "overly strict" on naming conventions. He suggested I should see what happens when I give them X- prefixed names, e.g. "X-CaseReference"

And won't you know it.... it works.
Posted 23 Oct, 2019 10:36:10 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Wow! Perfect! Just perfect!

Andrei Smolin
Posted 24 Oct, 2019 03:14:20 Top