Old version (8.x) causes Outlook Addin Initialization to hang, Version 9.x fixes the issue.

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Old version (8.x) causes Outlook Addin Initialization to hang, Version 9.x fixes the issue.
AddinExpress version 8.x causes Outlook addin initialization to hang/get stuck. 
Alin

Hello AddIn Express team,

Good day to you and your team.

We created an outlook addin which used the AddinExpress libraries version 8.x. The said addin has been working fine since 2016 more or less. However, starting March 2019, we started receiving reports that our addin was not working correctly with windows 10 and some windows 7 machines. We then started to investigate and found that the initialization phase of the addinexpress library did not finish.

Anyways, we replaced the 8.x version with the 9.x and got the issue resolved. Initial tests have shown that our addin is now working as designed.

Although we are already decided on updating to 9.x libraries, I would like to ask if you have come across this issue with 8.x? What changes in version 9.x fixed this initialization-hang/stuck issue?

Thank you very much!!
Posted 02 Oct, 2019 21:21:08 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Alin,

To answer this question, we need to check Add-in Express logs.

By default, an Add-in Express add-in and an MSI installer of the add-in generate log files. The logs are created/updated when you install your add-in (this runs adxregistrator.exe; it generates adxregistrator.log) and whenever Office loads your add-in (Office loads adxloader[64].dll which generates adxloader.log). Starting from Add-in Express 8.6, the log files are in folder %temp%\{AssemblyProduct attribute; see AssemblyInfo}. Before 8.6, the logs are in folder {My Documents}\Add-in Express.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 03 Oct, 2019 02:21:02 Top
Alin

Hello Andrei,

Thank you for your late response and i apologize for not getting back to you as soon as i wanted to.

Anyways, does the adxloader.log (logging mechanism) support the click-to-run version of outlook?

Thank you again.
Posted 13 Nov, 2019 23:43:30 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Alin,

No problem.

Yes, Click-to-Run is supported.

What isn't supported is Office deployed from Microsoft Store; see https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2019/02/27/office-from-store-issues/.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 14 Nov, 2019 01:57:23 Top
AppDev

Hi Andrei,

Thank you for your continued support.

I currently cannot generate the adxloader log with the generateLogFile flag set to true, and even if i set the logfile path.
I have been reading the troubleshooting notes in the pdf file but no success yet.

I suspect only this :
1. Per-User Add-in is Registered for System User
-> I have seen the adxregistrator.log saying : Process Owner: System
-> I installed my addin for all users.

But still no adxloader.log.

I will probably try setting the registry for "AlwaysInstallElevated" tomorrow.
I am currently using version 9.4.4644.0.

In any case, do you have any advice for me.

Thanks again.
Posted 14 Nov, 2019 02:59:47 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

AppDev writes:
I currently cannot generate the adxloader log with the generateLogFile flag set to true, and even if i set the logfile path.

For the adxloader.log file to get created, Office should load your add-in or, at least, to try to load your add-in. If the add-in is loaded, it is listed under Active Application Add-ins in File | Options | Add-ins. If it is listed under any other header, see the Troubleshooting Add-in Loading section. If it isn't listed at all, check how it is registered.

Process Owner : System is okay in adxregistrator.log if your add-in is per machine. The AlwaysInstallElevated policy may only influence per-user add-ins. The manual suggests turning it OFF; there's no need to turn it ON.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 14 Nov, 2019 05:21:58 Top
AppDev

Hello Andrei,

First of all thank you for your continued support. We really appreciate and value it.

As best as i can, i tried to generate the adxloader.log but still no success.
The adxregistrator.log is generated and looks successful.
The addin is loaded and runs perfectly in outlook, as it is an outlook addin.
But up to this point i have not had any success.

Here are some of my notes :
1. All my binaries are signed
2. All the addins in my outlook are enabled/active. None are disabled.
3. log file path is accessible to all apps, default log path does not work either.
4. Processmonitor does not show any file-create/file-write request for the adxloader logs.
5. I am using version 9.4.xxxx

Should the adloader.log file be created even if there are no errors in the loading of the addin, and that the addin is running correctly?
Is there anything else i need to do aside from setting the "generatlogfile" flag to true?

I apologize for all these questions but I thank you always for your understanding and support.

Thank you.
Posted 15 Nov, 2019 00:32:33 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello,

AppDev writes:
5. I am using version 9.4.xxxx

The adxloader.dll that you use, is it of the same version? In the output folder of your project, check versions of adxloader.dll and adxloader64.dll

Andrei Smolin
Posted 15 Nov, 2019 04:01:02 Top
AppDev

Hello Andrei,

Thank you always for your support.

1. The adxloader.dll I am using is the right version. It is the same as the one i used in my build environment.
2. Our installers use only the 32bit adxloader.dll and not adxloader64.dll.

Is there an issue with the fact we don't use the 64bit version?
Have I still missed anything resulting to the failure of log generation?
I don't see any file-write/create in process monitor.

Anything else i can do to check why no logs are generated?
Please note that our addin has been working correctly for so many years.
But it is only now that i need the log files.

Thank you.
Posted 17 Nov, 2019 16:01:49 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello,

AppDev writes:
We then started to investigate and found that the initialization phase of the addinexpress library did not finish

Could you please provide details?

AppDev writes:
Our installers use only the 32bit adxloader.dll and not adxloader64.dll.

Adxregistrator.exe doesn't expect this. It registers your add-in with 32bit and 64bit Office versions so that when Office needs to load your add-in it loads a 32bit or 64bit loader. If adxloader64.dll isn't deployed, a 64bit Office can't load your add-in.

Is the issue reproducible with a new empty add-in project?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 Nov, 2019 06:24:28 Top