Add-in very slow when TeamViewer add-in is enabled

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-in very slow when TeamViewer add-in is enabled

Fabrice

Dear ADX team,

I had a strong case today on a customer laptop where my add-in was very slow, and also had "bugs".
Everything was gone once I disabled the Teamviewer add-in.

Example of error: I have a button to add/remove a column in the current folder view. When I click, it add the column. Click again and it ask if it should remove it. With TV add-in, the column was not detected anymore, causing the code to always add it (then of course error from Outlook that the column is already there)

Did you already had this kind of conflict ? Is it due to how add-in express works ? Do you know how we can avoid that ?

Thank you for your help
Posted 03 Jul, 2019 12:42:15 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Fabrice,

I remember reports that the TeamViewer add-in modifies the culture of the main thread. Can this cause your issue?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 05 Jul, 2019 07:52:54 Top
Fabrice

Hello Andrei,

We also use the current culture to translate forms, but even if Teamviewer change it I don't see why it should cause slowdown our application.
And concerning the column not detected we use this kind of code, which is (normally) culture independent:

tableView = view as Outlook.TableView;
fields = tableView.ViewFields;

for (int i = 1; i <= fields.Count; i++)
{
    try
    {
        field = fields[i];
        columnFormat = field.ColumnFormat;

if (Constants.COLUMN_NAME.Equals(columnFormat.Label, StringComparison.CurrentCultureIgnoreCase))
        {
            this._columnIndex = i;
            break;
        }
    }

(partial code, declaration are missing)

So I still have no idea why ...
Posted 05 Jul, 2019 10:24:43 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Fabrice,

Sorry, I have no idea what happens to your code either. I would suggest that you install the TeamViewer add-in on your machine and debug the code.
Posted 08 Jul, 2019 04:38:30 Top
Fabrice

Hello Dmitry

Really, you know that with Outlook it's never so simple :)
It don't happen neither on my machine, nor on any VM I'have.
Posted 11 Jul, 2019 01:08:20 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Fabrice,

Fabrice writes:
Really, you know that with Outlook it's never so simple :)

Never! I've enabled that add-in and will have it turned on for a week or so. If I find anything of value, I'll let you know.

Fabrice writes:
And concerning the column not detected we use this kind of code, which is (normally) culture independent:

Maybe, you have an older version of your add-in on that PC? I'd also study the actual columns available in the Outlook UI.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 11 Jul, 2019 04:17:01 Top
Fabrice

Maybe, you have an older version of your add-in on that PC? I'd also study the actual columns available in the Outlook UI.

It was a new customer, so it was our latest version. But it was ADX 9.2, I'll shortly deploy the latest for the win10 v1903 compatibility.
But the strange thing it that without teamviewer the behavior was normal, and just enable it without restarting outlook bring this strange behavior.

Never! I've enabled that add-in and will have it turned on for a week or so. If I find anything of value, I'll let you know.

Thank you
Posted 11 Jul, 2019 05:22:23 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Fabrice,

I haven't noticed performance issues while that add-in was turned on.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 17 Jul, 2019 03:41:31 Top
Fabrice

Hello Andrei

Thank you for your tests, even if you didn't get any problem. As usual you've a outstanding support.

I experienced a long freeze 2 days ago, and was able to attach a debugger, to see the code was stuck in the teamviewer addin code (dll). Unluckily I didn't had the reflex to take a dump.
But anyway, it's not something recurrent and reproductible like the original case I had.
I'll still try to take dumps next time.

What I also remarked is that a COM call can block if Outlook have Exchange connection problem, so the whole Outlook freeze until we get a response or a timeout. Even when Outlook is configured with the exchange cache. Is it possible to avoid this ? i.e. configure the timeout to 500ms (as an example). I think it was the case when I got the Teamviewer freeze, but I also saw that sometime in my addin.

Thank you for your help,

Kr,
Fabrice
Posted 19 Jul, 2019 05:25:19 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Fabrice,

When an add-in executes, it may access something that requires an Exchange connection. If the connection is broken, the add-in stops executing and starts waiting for the connection to restore. At this point, all other COM add-ins will stop executing, too. There's no way to bypass this. I would suggest that you check if your user uses Cached Exchange Mode; this one should loose this restriction. See also https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/turn-on-cached-exchange-mode-7885af08-9a60-4ec3-850a-e221c1ed0c1c.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 22 Jul, 2019 03:39:33 Top