Display Message on Office Splash Screen

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Display Message on Office Splash Screen
Is there a way to display a status message on the office startup splash screen? 
Mark McCray

Hi Everyone,

When my add-in loads a document in Word, it detects a custom data field and if found, will attempt to contact the SQL database to obtain additional information. This works great unless the person is not in the office and there is a delay while it times out trying to connect. I have a way for the user to disable this, but the first time it happens it would be nice for them to know that is what is going on.

Does anyone know if there is a way to display a status message on the office startup splash screen? For example, when Word starts, the Word splash screen appears and it shows a message as each add-in is loaded. I want to add my own message to show that my add-in is loading something, so the user understands the short delay.

An alternative (actually better) would be to have my own splash screen, with a Cancel button, to allow the user to cancel the load that occurs on startup, or loading of a new document. I have made some feeble attempts at this with no luck, so any examples would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
Posted 02 Jul, 2019 09:40:18 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Mark,

The Word Object model doesn't let us customize the splash screen. Consider showing a pane displaying that message and the Cancel button.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 02 Jul, 2019 10:02:12 Top