Template path empty

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Template path empty

BerndH

Hi,
I wrote an Add-In for Outlook. It shows a special region if the mail has special headers. I also change messageclass for giving them a special icon. That?s the very quick info on what it does.

At some customers the using of my add-in deletes the path for user templates. If this path is empty, outlook shows an error if the user closes outlook: can not save "c:\normalemail.dotm".

Do you have an idea why this can happen? The customer swears ( ;-) ) it only happens, if he uses outlook with installed add-in. But it takes some days until it happens.

I?m not sure the add-in it?s the cause ...
Posted 08 May, 2019 09:33:50 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Bernd,

A way to achieve this is to modify Word.Application.Options.DefaultFilePath(Word.WdDefaultFilePath.wdUserTemplatesPath).

In Outlook you get the Word.Application object via (Inspector.WordEditor as Word.Document).Application.

I assume you don't do this :) If so, you can find the offending add-in: turn off all other Word and Outlook add-ins, then turn the add-ins one by one and reproduce the issue.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 08 May, 2019 10:16:34 Top
BerndH

Okay, so with only my outlook-related routines it can?t happen? I also create new mails, add attachments etc and send them.

I do not have a bad conscience programming such a bug ;-)

Thank you,
I keep searching...
Posted 09 May, 2019 01:54:52 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

No-no, such an add-in should deal with templates, not just with new emails. Do you create emails via CreateItemFromTemplate()? If so, I'd check if exceptions occur in related code on these users.

There's the FormDescription class (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/outlook.formdescription) that contains Template and UseWordMail properties. I'd check if the email/inspector created for your message class has these properties set differently on these machines.

Also, if the users use Office Insider builds or select the Coming Soon option, I'd suggest them switching to a regular Office build and turning that option off.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 09 May, 2019 02:18:10 Top