Installation/Uninstallation problems

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Installation/Uninstallation problems

Rudrashekhar X Das

Hi, we have been developing an excel plugin that has both formulas and GUI, and usually it works OK on the developer's machines, but we keep running into installation issues on the user computers. Several issues have been noticed, and might provide some clues.

Environment:
VS2003, Excel XP (2002), IE6, Windows XP SP1 or SP2, Latest ADX (late october).

Project:
Multi-DLLs, with only one dll refering to excel and containing both ui module and fx com module. Usisg loader approach (no stubs).

Setup project:
has the output of the excel related project + all dependencies
uses adxloader.dll custom action to register/unregister.
An additional custom action AddinExpress.Install.dll was added with /Addin="[TARGETDIR]main_module.dll" parameter.

Symptoms:

* When i tried to follow the instructions in the setup doc, recreated the setup with just the adxloader, the functions were ok (listed in the functions wizard, worked), but the GUI (toolbar, menu) never showed up. COM Add-Ins window showed the new addin, but refused to load it (a runtime error occurred during loading of com add-in).

* Some users reported exactly the same issue even when both the adxloader and addinexpress.install.dll were listed in custom actions. In all cases, these users had much older version of the same software (some possibly even used the version with shims). Apparently excel kept seeing those components even after uninstall. Installing+removing did not help. Registry appeared to contain tons of references to the components.

* Setup and Uninstall both finish fine
* Installing for user or for everyone has no difference
* When installing a new version, even though "removepreviousversion" is set to True, the add/remove programs continue to show all the older entries.
* functions work fine
* ui menus and toolbars fail to load (see above)

Pleas help.
Thanks!

P.S. Sergey, thank you much for helping me last time.
--Yuri
Posted 03 Nov, 2006 21:02:54 Top
Rudrashekhar X Das

Forgot to mention: The development machine has SP2 with both VS 2003 & VS 2005 (.net 1.1 & 2.0), but i only use 2003 & 1.1.
Posted 03 Nov, 2006 21:34:23 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Rudrashekhar.

What version of the .NET Framework is installed on the user' PCs? Do they have .NET 2.0 installed on the problematic PCs?
Posted 06 Nov, 2006 09:45:37 Top
Rudrashekhar X Das

User's PCs all have .net 1.1 installed. Also, in the host configuration i explicitly set the excel's .net version to 1.1.

--Yuri
Posted 06 Nov, 2006 10:57:55 Top
Rudrashekhar X Das

Also, most client PCs DO NOT have .net 2.0, although it has been known to work fine with it.

--Yuri
Posted 06 Nov, 2006 11:20:20 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Rudrashekhar, can you send me the project? I will test it.
Posted 06 Nov, 2006 17:21:40 Top
Rudrashekhar X Das

Sure, I will email it.

Also, can you update the setup creation document to include any additional items one must do in case a loader is being used, and we want both the UI and Excel UDFs in the same project. I saw some mentioning that an additional module registration is required, but not sure if its still needed.

Thanks!
--Yuri
Posted 07 Nov, 2006 12:44:16 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Yuri.

Have you sent the project yet?
If you use the ADX loader and Excel UDFs, you don't need any additional registration modules. In this case the loader will register your assembly completely.
Posted 08 Nov, 2006 06:41:36 Top
Rudrashekhar X Das

Sergey, I sent you all the files in the email (from Yuri Astrakhan).

Here's a partial copy of the text that might be of use to others:

The problem i keep running into is this: After installation, even though add/remove program shows no entries, excel tries to load older assembly versions. Apparently there is tons of references in the registry for various objects used by the project. COM object disappear from the COM-ADD-IN menu in excel after uninstall, but comes back and refers to old DLLs after the new install.

Typical fuslog binding info - the file version is much older then what was installed.

*** Assembly Binder Log Entry (11/7/2006 @ 9:36:35 PM) ***

The operation failed.
Bind result: hr = 0x80070002. The system cannot find the file specified.

Assembly manager loaded from: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\fusion.dll
Running under executable C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE
--- A detailed error log follows.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = ExcelAddin, Version=0.3.2502.38389, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=59a0db9dd3249172
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
LOG: Dynamic Base = NULL
LOG: Cache Base = NULL
LOG: AppName = NULL
Calling assembly : (Unknown).
===

LOG: Processing DEVPATH.
LOG: DEVPATH is not set. Falling through to regular bind.
LOG: Publisher policy file is not found.
LOG: Host configuration file not found.
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: DQExcelAddin, Version=0.3.2502.38389, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=59a0db9dd3249172
LOG: Cache Lookup was unsuccessful.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/PROGRA~1/MICROS~2/Office10/ExcelAddin.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/PROGRA~1/MICROS~2/Office10/ExcelAddin/ExcelAddin.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/PROGRA~1/MICROS~2/Office10/ExcelAddin.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/PROGRA~1/MICROS~2/Office10/ExcelAddin/ExcelAddin.EXE.
LOG: All probing URLs attempted and failed.

Posted 08 Nov, 2006 13:51:17 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Yuri, I have just sent you an email with the text below.

Did you change the add-in version in the AssemblyInfo.cs file before you rebuilt the add-in solution?
Since you use the ADX loader you don't need the AddinExpress.Install.dll assembly. So please remove this assembly from the setup project and the Custom Actions editor. Then rebuild and test the project again.

Before you install a new add-in version, try to clear the dll cache in your system profile.
Also I would suggest you to open the system registry editor, find and remove old add-in entries if they still exist in the registry
(you can use the add-in module class name to find entries, e.g MyNamespace.AddinModule). Let me know if the problem still exist.
Posted 09 Nov, 2006 08:00:56 Top