What alternative do we have if we have too many buttons on the Ribbon?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

What alternative do we have if we have too many buttons on the Ribbon?

Leon Lai Kan

Hi,

I am studying hard to learn programming Excel on VB.NET and Add-in Express.
I have practically covered all the samples in the ADX site, and now actively hunt for more examples on the net.
I am already appreciating what a wonderful software Add-in Express is! Without ADX, I could not learn Excel programming so fast!

For learning purposes, I put all my buttons in a single project.
It's convenient for revision. You see the code, and you see what's the result.

But there's a problem:
With so many buttons (Regular Size!), the Ribbon is rapidly filled. I have to use the scroll arrows at the RHS and LHS.

Time for me to use some other feature of ADX!

red

Thanks
Leon
Posted 25 Apr, 2019 09:17:20 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Leon,

You can hide some buttons in a Ribbon menu. You can have several menu levels.

Alternatively, you can populate a Ribbon dropdown or gallery with items, so that when the OnAction event occurs, you get the item selected and perform an action associated with that item. Below is extra info on using the selectedId and selectedIndex parameters passed to your OnAction event handler; sorry, it may not be formatted:

Some of the Ribbon components can be populated with items: combo box, drop down, and gallery. These components provide the SelectedItemId and SelectedItemIndex properties. Internally, these properties are mapped to the getSelectedItemID and getSelectedItemIndex attributes of corresponding elements in the Ribbon XML; see e.g. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/office_standards/ms-customui/700e4451-8706-40c5-8d7b-896e4ae21b69. These attributes are mutually exclusive. You instruct Add-in Express what of these attributes to use by specifying the SelectedItemIndex property at the design time:
?Â?Ð?? If SelectedItemIndex is -1 (default) at the design time, Add-in Express uses IDs; accordingly, if you need to get the selected item, you use SelectedItemId in your code.
?Â?Ð?? If SelectedItemIndex is set to another value at the design time, Add-in Express uses indices; accordingly, if you need to get the selected item, you use SelectedItemIndex in your code.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 25 Apr, 2019 09:36:12 Top
Leon Lai Kan

Hi, Andrei

Thanks. Will try.

Best Regards,
Leon
Posted 25 Apr, 2019 10:35:05 Top