Determining if other non-COM addins are loaded in Outlook

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Determining if other non-COM addins are loaded in Outlook

Donald Jugan

Is there any way to determin what non-COM addins are loaded in Outlook? I know I can enumerate COM addins using the Application.COMAddIns property, but have not been able to figure out how to enumerat the non-COM addins.

I need to determine if a certain old style addin is currently loaded, and run different code if it is. I have determined that this addin interfers with the proper operation of my COM Addin (Specifically the Cancel poperty of the event args in the ItemSent event).
Posted 01 Nov, 2006 11:24:03 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Donald.

Do you mean Exchange Extension add-ins in the 'Add-in Manager' dialog?
Posted 01 Nov, 2006 17:06:03 Top
Donald Jugan

Not that particular add-in, no. The one I am referring to is a third-party add-in that is part of SalesLogix, a piece of software that around 20% of the users at my company use.

I plan on working around the issue by detecting whether or not the SalesLogix add-in is present, and disabling the features of my add-in that it interfers with. That way for 80% of my users my add-in will operate in full function mode. The users who have SalesLogix installed will have to live with a my add-in working in a reduced functionality mode.

Posted 02 Nov, 2006 07:46:12 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Donald,
Are you sure that the SalesLogix is not a COM add-in? Probably the add-in is installed for all users on a PC. In this case you will not see it in the 'COM Add-ins' dialog in Outlook. But it is still available via the COMAddins collection.
Posted 02 Nov, 2006 09:11:07 Top
Donald Jugan

The SalesLogix Add-in is definitely not a COM add-in.

It is listed in the 'Add-ins mangager' dialog in Outlook, not the 'COM Add-ins' dialog.

It is not available via the COMAddins collection. To be sure, I ran the following code:

Dim sb As New Text.StringBuilder
        For Each a As Microsoft.Office.Core.COMAddIn In OutlookApp.COMAddIns
            If sb.Length <> 0 Then sb.Append(vbCrLf)
            sb.Append(a.Description)
        Next
        MsgBox(sb.ToString)

and The SalesLogix Add-in is not listed.
Posted 02 Nov, 2006 11:04:51 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Donald.

To obtain the list of Exchange Extension add-ins (like the SalesLogix add-in) you can use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Extensions

Please also read the following article to learn how you can detect which add-in is currently running in Outlook:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286408
Posted 03 Nov, 2006 10:05:01 Top