MSI Webdeployment

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

MSI Webdeployment
Delete version 
Dan Rasmussen

I created a MSI Webdeployment with the Publish funtion. By accident I created a version 1.0.0 as the ClickOnce versioning of 0.9.6.0 is invalid, used 0.9.6 in stead. But now I can't get rid of the version 1.0.0

How to do?
Posted 04 Mar, 2019 10:16:54 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Dan,

If you haven't copied these files to your server (where the users will download it to update), see the .msipublish file in the project folder on your development machine.

Does this help?

I don't think you will be able to automatically update your ClickOnce-deployed add-in with ClickTwice-deployed one. From all I know, your users will need to manually uninstall the ClickOnce-deployed add-in and then install the ClickTwice version.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 04 Mar, 2019 11:00:46 Top
Dan Rasmussen

Found the file and deleted the version 1.0.0, thanks.

Yes, I know my users need to install from the new location. Your ClickOnce implementation doesn't work well, it's definitely not click-once, but many times with the "Register" popup and errors I keep getting.

I've worked with ClickOnce many years and also with Outlook addins, no problems. I just worked with a VSTO project for Outlook 2016 before buying Add-in Express to be able to make Navigation Pane menu - and that project had the normal Publish tab in the project.
5 years back I worked with Add-in Express and used the classic ClickOnce to deploy my addin, worked fine.

I'm not a fan of the new implementation, so therefore I'm trying the MSI web deployment as an alternative.

My users know we're testing and can expect things like this. But I would have liked to use the classic ClickOnce I know works.
Posted 04 Mar, 2019 11:16:28 Top
Dan Rasmussen

And now with the MSI deployment I'm getting this error "Failed to check signature of version_info.xml". I set the option in My prefferences to sign the 'version_info.xml' file.

The version_info.xml file is in the root of the website. Then a folder "1033" and then the version folder "0.9.6" with the install files. Is the version file supposed to be same place as install files?
Posted 04 Mar, 2019 11:24:41 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hello Dan,

The 'version_info.xml' file should be located in the root of the website.
Did you modify the 'version_info.xml' file manually after you published the 0.9.6 version? Does it contain the signature (just open version_info.xml in notepad and search for the 'Signature' xml element)?
Posted 05 Mar, 2019 08:07:09 Top
Dan Rasmussen

No I didn't change the file after creating the deployment, but I didn't copy that file to the server. That explains it. Now the install downloads the files. Thanks :)
Posted 05 Mar, 2019 09:04:24 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Dan,

Thank you for keeping us informed!
Posted 05 Mar, 2019 09:50:48 Top
Dan Rasmussen

Last problem is now that I get other errors while downloading, at 62% download

- MSVCR100D.dll is not found by sc.exe
- MSVCP100D.dll is not found by sc.exe

It seems to be C++ debug versions of dlls... I don't think I'm using these and think it must be the MSI deployment.

Then it keeps downloading and start the install...
Posted 05 Mar, 2019 09:56:07 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Dan,

We already know about this issue, it occurs only if you use VS 2017 for publishing. In a few minutes we will send you an email with instructions. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Posted 05 Mar, 2019 11:04:59 Top
Dan Rasmussen

Now it install fine, thanks.

Have other problems now, will make new post :)
Posted 06 Mar, 2019 09:27:57 Top