PropertyChanging event handler context parameter

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

PropertyChanging event handler context parameter

Sven Knauer

I've implemented an event handler of an Outlook context menu button's PropertyChanging event.

The event handler registration:

_addinModule.OpenAttachmentsContextMenuButton.OnClick += OpenAttachmentsContextMenuClick;

The event handler:

private void AttachmentContextMenuOpen(object sender, ADXRibbonPropertyChangingEventArgs e)
        {
            try
            {
                if (e.PropertyType == ADXRibbonControlPropertyType.Enabled)
                {
                    Log.Debug($"{nameof(AttachmentContextMenuOpen)}: Fired!");

AttachmentSelection context = e.Context as AttachmentSelection;

if (context != null)
                    {
                        IOutlookAttachmentSelection attachmentSelection = new OutlookAttachmentSelectionWrapper(context);

using (IOutlookApplication application = new OutlookApplicationWrapper(context.Application))
                        using (IOutlookExplorer explorer = application.ActiveExplorer())
                        {
                            if (explorer != null)
                            {
                                UpdateContextMenu?.Invoke(this,
                                    new ContextEventArgs<IOutlookAttachmentSelection>(explorer, attachmentSelection));
                            }
                        }
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        if (Log.IsDebugEnabled)
                        {
                            dynamic c = e.Context;
                            Log.Debug($"{nameof(AttachmentContextMenuOpen)}: unexpected context parameter with Class = {c.Class}");
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
            catch (InvalidCastException ice)
            {
                Log.Warn($"{nameof(AttachmentContextMenuOpen)} - exception ignored", ice);
            }
            catch (Exception ex)
            {
                Log.Error($"{nameof(AttachmentContextMenuOpen)}", ex);
            }
        }

On my machine the context never null, but an instance of the AttachmentSelection COM object.
On one of our customer's machine it is always an Explorer object.
I've found this https://www.add-in-express.com/docs/net-ribbon-components.php#context which states it could be an Explorer, and I need to be ready for every types.

My questions are: do you have any idea, what is the difference between my machine and the customer's machine? What determine which object will I get as the ADXRibbonPropertyChangingEventArgs's Context?

Thank you.
Posted 04 Mar, 2019 10:16:12 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Sven,

I don't understand your code. I assume you create and release COM objects behind the scenes. Still, you should understand that using an Outlook.Application other than the one provided via the OutlookApp property of the add-in module may end with your add-in raising Outlook security warnings.

Sven Knauer writes:
I've found this article which states it could be an Explorer, and I need to be ready for every types.

That article is a general-purpose one.

As to your case, I remember, some Outlook 2016 builds returning AttachmentSelection and other returning Explorer. There was a topic right on this forum. I've found it: at https://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=13763, the developer reported the issue existed on 16.0.4312.1000 - this is one of the first Office 2016 builds. I suggest that your user updates their Office.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 04 Mar, 2019 10:57:00 Top
Sven Knauer

Hi Andrei,

thank you for your quick response, as always.

You may be right, my customer really using a 64 bit Outlook, and I will ask him to update.

Yes, you are right, we've just wrapped the COM releasing stuff in a .Net facade object, and using the IDispose in the add-in where possible.

Do you think the context object (which is an AttachmentSelection COM object) Application property may be different than we get from the Addin-Express? I've used this Application, becasue I thought it must be a valid object as I just got it from the event handler parameter.
Posted 05 Mar, 2019 04:41:09 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Sven,

Do you think the context object (which is an AttachmentSelection COM object) Application property may be different than we get from the Addin-Express?

Yes, it is different. Please have a look at the following article:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/office/developer/office-2007/bb226709(v=office.12)#com-add-in-security-defaults

The AddinModule.OutlookApp property returns exactly the object that is passed to the add-in during the OnConnection event.
Posted 05 Mar, 2019 10:33:44 Top