ADX shortcuts in Word 2016 does not work when pushing it out via SCCM

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

ADX shortcuts in Word 2016 does not work when pushing it out via SCCM
When manually installing the msi created via Addin express, shortcuts for specific ribbons can be used but not when the msi is deployed via Microsoft SCCM 
godfrey ho

we have been using addin express to develop our firm specific word addin since Word 2010 and have been migrated to Word 2016 recently. we have been using Create Setup Project - Visual Studio Installer to build the msi

we have been creating customised shortcuts for several of our ribbon(s) and have been working ever since, regardless of which method of deployment e.g., manually double clicking on the msi from my test machine while logging in as admin account or deployment via microsoft SCCM.

The functions are related to finding the location of brackets pair "[]", and setting the specific choice of wording separated by "|" within those bracket pair found within the document.

But now that we have migrated to Word 2016, the wider user community that receive the addin as SCCM package those same shortcuts seems to be disabled, but still work on the test machine if i manually installed it via my admin user account.

I'm scratching my head at the moment and not sure why it does not work.

FYI our adxloader/adxloader64 product version is 8.7.4425.0, and we are in Window 10 Enterprise (1803) and Word 2016/ 365 MSO (16.0.11029.20045) 64 bit.

thanks in advance.

regards,
Godfrey Ho
Posted 06 Feb, 2019 00:26:57 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Godfrey,

I'm sorry; I don't follow.

Can you describe such a shortcut? First off, I don't understand whether you refer to a file system shortcut or to a keyboard shortcut used to invoke this or that functionality of your add-in or Word itself? If this is about keyboard shortcuts, I don't understand whether you handle them in the code of your add-in module or in the code of an ADXWordTaskPane. You describe some details such as a pair of brackets but this doesn't trigger anything in me and I don't have an idea how the pair of brackets may relate to deploying your add-in.

Does your code uses ADXCommandBar or ADXContext menu components?

Do you have Add-in Express logs created on the affected machine?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 06 Feb, 2019 07:08:51 Top
godfrey ho

hi Andrei,

sorry I should've elaborated a little bit better. yes they are keyboard shortcuts we have been customising, and using ADXKeyboardShortcut to create them within the AddinModule designer.

I was just rying to expand what these keyboard shortcuts will do and one of which is a function looking for the bracket pair.

which log file are you referring to?adxadminstrator.log or adxloader.log?

regards,
Godfrey.
Posted 06 Feb, 2019 07:31:03 Top
godfrey ho

hi Andrei,

sorry I should've elaborated a little bit better. yes they are keyboard shortcuts we have been customising, and using ADXKeyboardShortcut to create them within the AddinModule designer.

I was just trying to expand what these keyboard shortcuts will do and one of which is a function looking for the bracket pair.

which log file are you referring to?adxadminstrator.log or adxloader.log?

regards,
Godfrey.
Posted 06 Feb, 2019 07:33:19 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Make sure that the HandleShortcuts property on the add-in module is set to true.

Please reinstall your add-in, start Word and send me copies of these files; you can send them to the support email address (see readme.txt in the Add-in Express installation folder) or copy them here:

- %temp%\{AssemblyProduct attribute; see AssemblyInfo}\adxregistrator.log in the profile of the user who runs the installer
- %temp%\{AssemblyProduct attribute; see AssemblyInfo}\adxloader.log in the profile of the user who starts Word

Andrei Smolin
Posted 06 Feb, 2019 07:50:26 Top
godfrey ho

hi Andrei can I email you directly with some of my code snippet and screenshots so you can have a better understanding of what we have been doing?
Posted 06 Feb, 2019 07:53:01 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Yes. Please make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 06 Feb, 2019 08:01:43 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Godfrey,

I've received the files. adxregistrator.log contains an exception:

Exception Source: AddinExpress.MSO.2005
Exception Type: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
Exception Message: Access is denied
Exception Target Site: CreateSubKey

---- Stack Trace ----
AddinExpress.Projects.Common.ADXRegistryKey.CreateSubKey(subKeyName As String)
AddinExpress.MSO.2005.DLL: N 0133 (0x85) IL
AddinExpress.Projects.Common.Utilities.RegisterManagedType(rootKey As ADXRegistryKey, type As Type, strAsmName As String, strAsmVersion As String, strAsmCodeBase As String, strRuntimeVersion As String, targetHive As ADXTargetRegistryHive, createVersionKey As Boolean)
AddinExpress.MSO.2005.DLL: N 0082 (0x52) IL
AddinExpress.Projects.Common.Utilities.RegisterType(t As Type, createVersionKey As Boolean, allUsers As Boolean, targetHive As ADXTargetRegistryHive, callRegMethod As Boolean)
AddinExpress.MSO.2005.DLL: N 0206 (0xCE) IL
AddinExpress.Projects.Common.Utilities.RegisterAssembly(assembly As Assembly, createVersionKey As Boolean, allUsers As Boolean, targetHive As ADXTargetRegistryHive, callRegMethod As Boolean)
AddinExpress.MSO.2005.DLL: N 0040 (0x28) IL
AddinExpress.Deployment.AddinDomainAdapter.RegisterForComInterop(register As Boolean, dllType As String, dllPath As String, showExceptions As Boolean)
AddinExpress.MSO.2005.DLL: N 0205 (0xCD) IL
AddinExpress.Deployment.ADXRegistrator.RegisterAssembly(commandLine As String)
AddinExpress.MSO.2005.DLL: N 0703 (0x2BF) IL

This is because your per-machine add-in is installed using standard user permissions. If you need your add-in to be per-user, follow instructions that we give in section Deploying a per-user Office extension via an MSI installer, see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC.

The adxloader.log isn't created because Office doesn't load your add-in (due to the registration-time issue above).

Andrei Smolin
Posted 06 Feb, 2019 08:43:33 Top
godfrey ho

hi Andrei,

sorry can't get back to you till now.

have forwarded the new log files via the support email address.

also one more thing HandleShortcuts property has been set to true as per your suggestion as well.

thanks in advance.

regards,
Godfrey Ho.
Posted 20 Feb, 2019 06:36:21 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hell Godfrey,

Thank you. The logs describe registering the add-in on 02/18/2019 using adxRegistrator version 8.7.4425.0 and loading it on 02/20/2019 using adxLoader version 8.7.4430. The logs don't show any issue.

I suggest that you create a sample add-in project reproducing the issue and send it to me for testing.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 20 Feb, 2019 07:01:33 Top