Publish (ClickTwice) without a certificate

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Publish (ClickTwice) without a certificate

nwein

I don't care about signing anything, not my add-in and not my msi; in fact, I need to refrain from signing anything as our add-ins are distributed only internally.
Currently both publication methods you guys offer (ClickOnce and ClickTwice) do not allow publishing an add-in without supplying a cert.
Normally, I would just shrug and create a test cert and things would just go through, but when I try deploying an update to my ClickTwice (with an updater, all to UNC paths which are trusted in our intranet zone settings), i'm getting a
"A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider."
I saw https://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=13915 posting about this as well, but i'm not sure if he had an actual cert or a test cert.
In my case, i'd rather not have a cert at all, or at least make it work with a test cert (such that no one will need to install the cert on their machine either).

Any suggestions?
Posted 05 Feb, 2019 11:18:50 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Nir,

Add-in Express doesn't let you publish if there's no valid certificate. The reasoning behind this design decision is this. We think that in the real world an antivirus won't let you start an unsigned .EXE downloaded from the web. What we see is: switching to a new certificate causes many antiviruses to issues warnings if there are too little users trusting the certificate.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 06 Feb, 2019 08:36:43 Top