Reinstallation of Word Add-In not automatically registering

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Reinstallation of Word Add-In not automatically registering
If a user uninstalls and reinstalls a new version of Word AddIn, the Add-In Tab doesn't appear. 
Premkumar Elangovan

We recently migrated our VSTO Add-In to use Add-In Express. We are running into a problem with some users with the installation. When a user uninstalls and reinstalls the AddIn, the AddIn tab doesn't appear. When we goto Options->COM Addins, and click the Word Add-In, there is a message 'Not loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-in'. To get the Add-In working, we have to manually add the Add-In, by browsing to the installation folder and selecting 'adxloader.dll'. Any ideas what might be causing this issue.

Regards,
Prem.
Posted 28 Dec, 2018 10:56:07 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Prem,

Please reinstall your add-in, start Word and send me copies of these files:

- %temp%\{AssemblyProduct attribute; see AssemblyInfo}\adxregistrator.log in the profile of the user who runs the installer
- %temp%\{AssemblyProduct attribute; see AssemblyInfo}\adxloader.log in the profile of the user who starts Word

I suppose one of them contains an error; note that adxloader.log is overwritten whenever Word loads your add-in. adxregistrator.log gets overwritten when you reinstall your add-in.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 28 Dec, 2018 11:34:08 Top
Premkumar Elangovan

Hi Andrei,
Thanks for the response. I think I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was going through the following article, and I found the quote about not changing the Product code, that was precisely what I was doing - I clicked yes to the Visual Studio dialog. Now after ignoring the dialog, the MSI appears to be installing fine.

https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2011/02/22/deploying-peruser-office-extension-msi-installer/

"Don?Â?Ð?ét change the Product code property of your setup project. By default, when you change the Version property of your setup project, Visual Studio shows a dialog recommending that you change the Product code. Click No or Cancel in this dialog because if you change the Product code, you will get a new Office extension installer, consequently the previous version of your extension may uninstall incorrectly when the user launches the new version installation."

Regards,
Prem.
Posted 29 Dec, 2018 19:42:49 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Great!

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 31 Dec, 2018 04:57:39 Top