Unable to make the 'Advanced Excel task panes' tutorial example work

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Unable to make the 'Advanced Excel task panes' tutorial example work

Kirill Lapin

Hi there,

I am unable to make this work for the life of me: https://www.add-in-express.com/docs/net-custom-task-panes.php
I start a new projects and follow every step. If I just follow it, I get a bunch of compiling errors in VS2017 for both snippets provided (the first in ADXExcelTaskPane1.vb and the second in AddinModule.vb)

Severity	Code	Description	Project	File	Line	Suppression State
Error	BC30002	Type 'Excel.Range' is not defined.	MyAddin2	G:...Visual Studio 2017source
eposMyAddin2MyAddin2ADXExcelTaskPane1.vb	15	Active
Error	BC30506	Handles clause requires a WithEvents variable defined in the containing type or one of its base types.	MyAddin2	G:...Visual Studio 2017source
eposMyAddin2MyAddin2AddinModule.vb	58	Active
Error	BC30506	Handles clause requires a WithEvents variable defined in the containing type or one of its base types.	MyAddin2	G:...Visual Studio 2017source
eposMyAddin2MyAddin2AddinModule.vb	65	Active
eposMyAddin2MyAddin2AddinModule.vb	72	Active

I then add to the ADXExcelTaskPane1.vb the following code

Imports Microsoft.Office.Interop

and to the AddinModule:

Friend WithEvents adxExcelEvents As AddinExpress.MSO.ADXExcelAppEvents

And the errors go away, but the Excel events won't fire. The label text won't change with the range selection change. If I use ADXExcelTaskPane1 control events they do work.

Any ideas please?

Thanks,
KL

P.S. Yes, I did run the debugger to see if any of the events worked and they simply didn't. The following code was never invoked:

Private Sub RefreshPane()   
   Dim selection As Excel.Range = _   
      CType(Me.ExcelApp.Selection, Excel.Range)   
   Dim instance As ADXExcelTaskPane1 = _   
      CType(AdxExcelTaskPanesCollectionItem1.TaskPaneInstance, _   
      ADXExcelTaskPane1)   
   If instance IsNot Nothing Then  
      If Not instance.Visible Then instance.Show()   
      instance.RefreshMe(selection)   
   End If  
   Marshal.ReleaseComObject(selection)   
End Sub 
Posted 22 Dec, 2018 21:12:59 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Kirill,

At https://www.add-in-express.com/downloads/adxnet.php, please find and download the file labelled as Add-in Express for Office and .NET sample projects. In the archive, find this sample project {ZIP}\Documentation Samples\Your First Microsoft Office COM Add-in\.

Please let me know if that sample project works for you.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 24 Dec, 2018 05:22:04 Top
Kirill Lapin

Hi Andrei,

The sample file works. Now I need to find the 10 differences with my or the tutorial code :(
Since I figured out how to show task pane from the ribbon, I will postpone this a bit :)

Regards,
KL
Posted 24 Dec, 2018 11:23:01 Top
Kirill Lapin

OK. Here is the deal. The difference between my solution and the sample solution (and the tutorial) is as follows:

• in my solution automatically generated by ADX the components are initialised in the designer, while in the sample prject they are initialized in the AddinModule.vb (not essential, but explains why I couldn't spot the problem)
  • Most importantly, in my solution the events are declared and initialized under the alias 'AdxExcelAppEvents1', while in the sample and tutorial 'adxExcelEvents' is used.

Not sure how this is possible and why so strange alias, but that is what it is. If I change the event sub to the following, it works:
Private Sub adxExcelEvents_SheetSelectionChange( _   
   ByVal sender As System.Object, _   
   ByVal sheet As System.Object,   
   ByVal range As System.Object) _   
      Handles AdxExcelAppEvents1.SheetSelectionChange   
   RefreshPane()   
End Sub
Posted 24 Dec, 2018 21:33:32 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Kirill,

Thank you for keeping us informed.

If you have any questions or face problems feel free to contact us.
Posted 26 Dec, 2018 03:57:31 Top