Excel Object Model

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Excel Object Model
Is the same model applicable for VSTA and .NET? 
Leon Lai Kan

Hi, everybody

I want to learn the Excel Object model so that I can develop Excel add-ins using ADX and VB .NET.

I have several books on VSTO which are very good at explaining the Excel Object model. I have not read them all.

But I finally chose ADX.

Is the same Excel Object Model (using VB .NET code) applicable for both VSTO and ADX?

In other words, if I want to program Excel add-ins using ADX, can I use my old VSTO books to learn the VB .NET codes?
Is the VB .NET coding the same for both VSTO and ADX?
Thanks

leonlai
Posted 20 Dec, 2018 07:53:57 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello leonlai,

In your add-in you use the object model of the application that loads your add-in. An interop (possibly of a different version) is sort of a database view that you use to look at the object model. I suggest that you check https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2010/03/16/interop-assemblies-late-binding/: this blog explains interops.

Leon Lai Kan writes:
Is the VB .NET coding the same for both VSTO and ADX?

Yes. The difference is: no vsto-targeted namespaces are available with Add-in Express.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 20 Dec, 2018 08:11:28 Top
Leon Lai Kan

Hi, Andrei

So, in principle I could use my VSTO books to learn how to program Excel with VB .NET, and then apply my knowledge to develop Excel Add-ins with ADX. There are some differences as you say.

Right?

leonlai
Posted 20 Dec, 2018 08:17:16 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Precisely.

Also, note the way you get an instance of Excel.Application in Add-in Express: you access it via the ExcelApp (or HostApp) property of the add-in module. To access that object from another class, you use this construct: {add-in name such as MyAddin1}.AddinModule.CurrentInstance.ExcelApp.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 20 Dec, 2018 08:25:05 Top
Leon Lai Kan

Thanks!

Great help!

Leon
Posted 21 Dec, 2018 01:51:39 Top