WebBrowserControl in Excel Add-in?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

WebBrowserControl in Excel Add-in?

Henjo van Rees

I have a .NET Excel Plugin created with Add-in Express 8.2.
This Excel Add-in performs REST calls to a backend which retrieves data and inserts it into a spreadsheet.

Currently this Excel Plugin authenticates using basic authentication (we set the authentication header).
We prompt the user for a username + password before performing the REST call.

What I would like to do is perform the authentication using SAML.
Unfortunately SAML is a web authentication protocol, so performing a SAML negotiation within the plugin is not trivial.

My plan/idea is to use a WebBrowserControl within the Excel Add-in ribbon which performs the SAML authentication.
Would it be possible to use a WebBrowserControl in the Excel Add-in this way?
Posted 11 Dec, 2018 10:48:09 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Henjo,

Consider placing such a WebBrowser control on a custom pane. You can't show a custom control on the Office Ribbon; this is by design.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 12 Dec, 2018 03:09:59 Top
Henjo van Rees

Ah thanks!

I don't have a custom pane in my current plugin.
Would it be possible to add a custom pane with the WebBrowserControl on it, but only use it programatically?

So, I would use it to access the REST endpoint (and let the WebBrowserControl handle SAML authentication) without letting the User see the control and pane?

Do you have a clear example of adding such a (preferably hidden) pane + a custom control on it?
Posted 12 Dec, 2018 04:51:23 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Henjo,

Check section Step #12 ?Â?Ð?ã Creating Advanced Task Panes in Excel 2000-2019, see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC.

To prevent a task pane from being shown, set ADXExcelTaskPane.Visible = false in the ADXExcelTaskPane.ADXBeforeTaskPaneShow event.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 12 Dec, 2018 06:24:15 Top