Problems with running addin from Visual Studio 2017

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Problems with running addin from Visual Studio 2017
I'm unable to debug or run the addin from the IDE 
Developer CommonDesk

We have an Outlook add-in that was working correctly until the last outlook update which caused problems with an Add-in Region showing outside the main window. This was solved by installing the latest Regions SDK

After this now i'm not able to debug the add-in, i looked on the forums and i see some suggestions about registering the add-in, i followed these steps:

1. Uninstall the add-in and make sure it doesn't show on the Outlook addin list
2. Clean and rebuild the addin from VS
3. Tried to register but i don't see any options to do so on the context menu when i right click on the add-in project (is this where the register option should be?)
4. Looked in C:\Users\my_user\Documents\Add-in Express but the folder is empty, i did not find the expected log files
5. After running from VS i can see the add-in listed on Outlook but it says it was disabled because it caused Outlook to crash, clicking on enable doesn't do anything
6. Checked on Visual Studio help menu and add-in express is listed as "Add-in Express Regions for Microsoft Outlook and VSTO 4.0.2650"

So to summarize
- There is no option to register the addin on the context menu
- No log files are created under C:\Users\my_user\Documents\Add-in Express
- Add-in shows on Outlook addins list but it is disabled and i can't enable it at all

My setup:
Visual Studio 2017 15.8.9
Microsoft Outlook for Office 365 MSO (16.0.11001.20064) 32-bit
Add-in Express Regions for Outlook and VSTO, Professional Version: 4.0.2650

Any ideas on how to proceed?
Posted 10 Nov, 2018 19:14:26 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello,

Does attaching to the running process of Outlook work for you?

If your add-in project built using .NET 2.0/3.5, make sure 1) that .NET 3.5 is installed and 2) there's outlook.exe.config containing this XML code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
  <startup>
    <supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727" />
  </startup>
</configuration>

Note that such an outlook.exe.config makes all Outlook add-ins use .NET 3.5.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 12 Nov, 2018 05:12:55 Top
Developer CommonDesk

Hi, we are building for .net 4.6.1

I do have a section on the app config file like so

<startup>
    <supportedRuntime version="v4.0"/>
</startup>

However this doesn't help much, i'm still not able to debug the add-in, i tried reinstalling the Regions SDK but i still don't see an option to register the add-in from the context menu on VS

The add-in doesn't launch at all which i assume is because it is not registered, is this correct, however since i don't see an option to perform registration i'm not able to do much otherwise, is there an alternative for registration which doesn't go through VS?
Posted 14 Nov, 2018 20:19:24 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Developer CommonDesk writes:
However this doesn't help much, i'm still not able to debug the add-in, i tried reinstalling the Regions SDK but i still don't see an option to register the add-in from the context menu on VS

This option isn't part of the Regions; it is part of Add-in Express for Office and .NET. In VSTO, you register the add-in by building the project; to unregister the add-in click Clear.

Check if your add-in loads if you comment as much code as possible.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 15 Nov, 2018 05:38:35 Top