Strange slowdown on recipients

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Strange slowdown on recipients
Slowdown in Outlook 365 while typing recipients 
Pino Carafa

We are observing some very strange behaviour on Outlook 365

The user starts composing a new message and goes to the To field

They start typing the name of one recipient, and it shows a list of matches, and they use Tab to select one of the suggestions. The system then completes the recipient and adds a semicolon. The user then starts typing the next recipient and does the same thing.

As they make their selection we observe that it completes the recipient name but then it takes a while for the semicolon to appear. During that time Outlook becomes unresponsive.

On the next recipient the same things happens and as you add more recipients the response becomes progressively worse.

Now here's the kicker... Yes, we create a topsubpane in the Inspector when the user is composing a message, but as far as I know we do NOT monitor what happens to the message's recipients while the user is composing the message. We don't monitor nor do we respond to any event that might occur when the user adds recipients.

And yet, when we disable our Add-in the problem goes away.

Now obviously with a description like that there is not an awful lot for YOU to go by, but all I'm looking for at this juncture is, perhaps, a suggestion as to where to start looking for a potential cause for this problem.
Posted 12 Oct, 2018 08:35:06 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Pino,

I'll pass this to our guys to check if Add-in Express is involved in the issue and to provide a solution/suggestion. What Add-in Express build are you using? What Office build(s) is used? Is Outlook 32bit or 64bit?

Do you use an ADXKeyboardshortcut component(s) on your add-in module? Do you intercept the OnKeyDown event of the module?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 12 Oct, 2018 08:50:54 Top
Pino Carafa

hello Andrei,

Her Outlook is Outlook 365, 32bit - 18.0.10827.20118

No, I don't use an ADXKeyboardshortcut component, and we don't intercept an OnKeyDown event either.

Add-in Express is 9.1.4620

Many thanks!

Pino
Posted 12 Oct, 2018 10:52:04 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Pino,

Does the issue persist if you create an add-in having no code and showing an ADXOlForm in the top region. This should help us find if the issue is induced by Add-in Express or by your code or controls on your form).

If the problem isn't reproducible, on the test add-in above, try to comment out blocks of your code to locate the code that produces the issue. Make sure that all COM objects created in your code get released; check section Releasing COM Objects at https://www.add-in-express.com/docs/net-office-tips.php#releasing.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 15 Oct, 2018 07:29:58 Top
Pino Carafa

Hello Andrei,

Sorry for the delay, but you'll be glad to hear that I discovered that the delay is NOT due to Add-in Express in any way, shape or form. But that leaves me with another problem, and perhaps you can give me a hint.

It turns out that we DO execute code when the recipients of an email change. We have code that iterates through the recipients and it goes to get their email addresses.

I found that the delay happens when we hit an address of AddressType olExchangeRemoteUserAddressEntry

In order to retrieve the correct SMTP address we revert to a redemption RDOSession, and we then use .GetAddressEntryFromID(oRep.AddressEntry.ID).SMTPAddress.ToLower() to get the corresponding SMTP address.

The delay is causing us a problem. Is there a faster way to get the correct SMTP address for an olExchangeRemoteUserAddressEntry?
Posted 18 Oct, 2018 09:11:06 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Pino,

Many thanks for sharing your results with forum readers. II suggest that you ask this question on the Outlook for Developers forum at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=outlookdev.

I expect that your post will caught attention of Dmitry Streblechenko; he is a recognized guru of MAPI internals.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 Oct, 2018 09:43:52 Top
Pino Carafa

Andrei Smolin writes:
I expect that your post will caught attention of Dmitry Streblechenko; he is a recognized guru of MAPI internals.

Yes, I've come across his name before! Cheers, I will do that. If I get a good answer from Dmitry or anybody else I will share it here :)
Posted 18 Oct, 2018 10:29:16 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

May I ask you to post a link to the topic?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 19 Oct, 2018 05:38:53 Top
Pino Carafa

Posted 19 Oct, 2018 05:53:19 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thanks!

Andrei Smolin
Posted 19 Oct, 2018 07:09:44 Top