Glyphs not displayed correctly

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Glyphs not displayed correctly
Glyphs are displayed in wrong size/blurry for menu items 
Phil Paul

Dear Add-In Express Team,

we have a PowerPoint add-in and are using Add-In Express 9.1.4620.
We have an advanced ribbon tab and have glyphs for all our buttons so they are always displayed in the right size.

With the new version of Add-In Express we see the following problem

- I add a new ico file to the project resources and rebuild the project
- After this all buttons on the "2nd level" of the ribbon (e.g. in menus or in split buttons) are not shown correctly
- They are displayed using the 32x32px scaled to 16x16px so they are very ugly and blurry
- It happens on the development Computer but also on other Computers when I install the add-in
- If I move the exact same button on the "1st level" of the ribbon they are all displayed in the correct size
- We have been working with standard dpi of 96 all the time
- The error really only shows when I do any change to the project resources, so to me it seems that something gets corrupted here in the last Add-In Express version?

How could this be fixed? The only workaround I can think of is to install an old version of Add-In Express each time I want to do any changes in the project resources - but this is not feasible.

At the moment we are not really able to ship new versions of our product because the display does not look professional any more.

I would appreciate any hint or solution other than toggling between different add-in express versions.

Thank you so much in advance!

Phil
Posted 25 Jul, 2018 10:51:23 Top
Phil Paul

Hello,

I just saw that the problem is that all the buttons on the 2nd Level are automatically set to size "large"
when I edit the resource file. This explains why the buttons are then displayed blurry.

May be this additional information helps in finding the cause and fixing the issue.

I have about 50 ribbonButtons on level 2 and to manually resetting their size each time I add an icon
is not a real solution.

Thank you for looking into this,
Phil
Posted 25 Jul, 2018 11:15:05 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Phil,

I try to collect information and reproduce the issue.

What do you mean by "2nd level"? Is this the case of a button shown e.g. in a Ribbon menu or split button?
what do you mean by "when I edit the resource file"?

Is the Size of the button(s) set to Large or Regular before you specify a glyph? Are you saying that this property is set to Large automatically?

What image type and size do you use? Is it a multi-image .ICO?

I can't reproduce the issue if I specify 4 buttons (2 large and 2 regular) and set a multi-image .ICO and a regular .ICO to the Glyph property.

Are you saying that the issue is missing in a previous Add-in Express version?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 26 Jul, 2018 03:35:08 Top
Phil Paul

Dear Andrei,

thank you for your fast reply. As to your questions, please find my answers here:

What do you mean by "2nd level"? Is this the case of a button shown e.g. in a Ribbon menu or split button?
what do you mean by "when I edit the resource file"?

> yes I mean buttons contained in a menu/split button
> the issue does not happen to buttons that are directly contained in the Ribbon group but only to those contained in menus/split buttons
> with "edit the resource file" I mean I only add a new *.ico file

Is the Size of the button(s) set to Large or Regular before you specify a glyph? Are you saying that this property is set to Large automatically?

> yes, the size of the buttons changes automatically to large only by adding a new *.ico file to the project resources
> the buttons were of size regular when I add the glyph

What image type and size do you use? Is it a multi-image .ICO?

> yes, it we use ico files with the following sizes 16x16, 20x20, 24x24, 28x28 and 32x32

Are you saying that the issue is missing in a previous Add-in Express version?

> The issue seems to have started with the version 9 of Add-in Express. We never encountered anything similar in the last 3-4 years of using Add-in Express.

After adding a new *.ico I do get the message "do you want to apply the modified Ribbons property value to the child components as well"? This pops around 20-30 times. But this seems to be a separate issue because it also happened in older versions of Add-In Express without changing the sizes of the buttons

Thank you for any support to solve this,
Phil
Posted 26 Jul, 2018 05:15:10 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Phil,

Please send me the InitializeComponent() method from your add-in module to the support email address. Please make sure your email contains a link to this topic. Find the support email address in {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt.

What Visual Studio version are you using?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 26 Jul, 2018 06:40:46 Top
Phil Paul

Dear Andrei,

I just sent the intializeComponent method to the support address.

We are using VS Professional 2015 (14.0.25431.01 Update 3).

best regards,

Phil
Posted 27 Jul, 2018 03:23:49 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Phil,

Thank you for all the details provided. I've reproduced the issue and it is now filed under #13465 in our issue-tracking DB. When I have news about this issue, I'll post them here. I don't expect to get any news earlier than two weeks.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 27 Jul, 2018 05:54:05 Top
Phil Paul

Dear Andrei,

thank you for the swift responses so far.
I am looking forward to hearing from you,

best regards,
Phil
Posted 27 Jul, 2018 07:42:05 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Phil,

We've published Add-in Express for Office and .NET version 9.2 that provides support for Office 2019 officially. Please see https://www.add-in-express.com/downloads/adxnet.php.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 20 Nov, 2018 09:35:49 Top