Auto Updates Version

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Auto Updates Version

Kiru Marimuthu

Hi

I am using automatic updates for Excel add-in as shown https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2016/11/30/automatic-updates-office-extensions/.

I would like to notify the user with the version number available to update.

Initially, we were publishing updates in an Unc path so I was using FileVersionInfo.GetVersionInfo in C# which works well.
But now we are publishing into AWS S3 bucket. The path is URI now and FileVersionInfo.GetVersionInfo doesn't work any more.

I am wondering if there is any method in ADXAddinModule or any easiest way to get the latest version of MSI available?

Thanks
Kiru
Posted 16 Jul, 2018 05:42:04 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Kiru,

Doesn't the notification show the version to be installed? Last Friday I tested something and the notification window reported the version; everything was created by default.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 16 Jul, 2018 07:45:54 Top
Kiru Marimuthu

Hi Andrei

I am creating my own notification window. I build the text to be shown in the new notification window.

addinModule.CheckForMSIUpdates()

Above code returns the path of the installer and I used FileVersionInfo.GetVersionInfo in C# to get the version.

Thanks
Kiru
Posted 16 Jul, 2018 07:53:03 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Kiru,

Make sure that the URL pointing to version_xml is valid: check this in a browser.

Then use an overload of CheckForMSIUpdates() that returns FileVersionInfo in an out parameter. Also note that switching from one server (e.g. local network) to another (S3) requires that you put the new version_info.xml and supporting files to *both* locations: on the old server and on the new server.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 16 Jul, 2018 09:10:13 Top