Add in crashes outlook when browsing folders

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add in crashes outlook when browsing folders
We are having a problem with some clients 
erikjblair

Hello,

We have a selection of customers that are reporting that outlook is crashing when our add in is enabled. We have verified this behavior. We have isolated it to our add in. If it is enabled on these client machines, it crashes. When we disable the add in, it does not. We have shown that there is no error or problem in the code we wrote for the add in. This isn't reproducible on any of our QA machines but we've seen 5+ different locations report this issue.

1) are you aware of any incompatibilities with recent outlook updates or current issues?

2) how do we better debug what's happening to cause this crash?

Thanks,

Erik Blair
Posted 02 Jul, 2018 08:15:26 Top
erikjblair

Any advice? This is a big problem for our customers
Posted 03 Jul, 2018 06:28:37 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Erik,

Sorry for the delay; we had holidays on Monday-Tueday.

What Add-in Express build are you using? Outlook build?

Is the issue reproducible on a sample add-in showing empty panes in the same regions as your real add-in? If so, please send me that sample add-in project to the support email address. You can find it in readme.txt. Please make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 04 Jul, 2018 02:10:39 Top
erikjblair

Hello, we have tried multiple add in express builds in trying to address this problem. Most recently, we've tried this with the newly released 9.1. We've seen it only with Outlook 2016.

Unfortunately, it's not reproducible with a sample project that I can give you. As I stated, it's not reproducible with our QA or dev environments. But we have a group of 5 or more customers that are all exhibiting the same behavior. What can we do to see what's happening?

Regards, Erik Blair
Posted 05 Jul, 2018 08:13:59 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Erik,

There's an issue with ADXOlFormsManager that we are unable to reproduce. The issues is a crash on some machines only: the crash occurs when you call MAPIFolder.CurrentView in the Explorer.ViewSwitch event. Not sure if this is your case. I suggest that you check this by adding the following code line to the ADXOlFormsManager.Initialize event handler:

private void adxOlFormsManager1_OnInitialize() {
    adxOlFormsManager1.GetType().InvokeMember("currentViewID", 
    BindingFlags.SetField | BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Instance, 
    null, adxOlFormsManager1, new object[] { -1 });
}

Please let me know if this helps.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 05 Jul, 2018 10:59:48 Top
erikjblair

Thanks for the response. We will try this in a few of the affected locations. If this doesn't work, is there a way to get any additional debug information for what's happening in Add in Express?
Posted 06 Jul, 2018 10:16:23 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Erik,

At the moment, I don't have an answer.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 09 Jul, 2018 08:49:20 Top
erikjblair

Hello, It seems that this minor change is helping on the affected workstations. Thanks for your help!

Are there any side effects or changes in behavior due to this code change?

I will update the thread if there's any change, but I am hoping that this will be a fix.
Posted 09 Jul, 2018 11:23:20 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Erik,

This may cause visual artifacts if TopSubpane, LeftSubpane, RightSubpane and BottomSubpane regions are used in the Card view (contacts).

We will consider setting -1 to that variable (currentViewID) by default.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 10 Jul, 2018 03:11:35 Top