Unable to debug add-in in Visual Studio

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Unable to debug add-in in Visual Studio

letdowncrush

Hi

Hopefully I'm missing something simple here.

I've tried creating a new Word add-in from the Visual Studio template and I've also downloaded the WToysCS sample project from your site.

In both cases, hitting F5 (or attaching to the WinWord.exe) process doesn't seem to load the add-in.

- I've tried registering the add-in using the Add-in Express -> Register on the project in Visual Studio.
- The loader dlls and manifest exist in the Loader folder (do these need to be copied to the bin\debug folder on build?)

I can't see a log file being created either in the default place ({user profile}\Documents\Add-in Express\adxregistrator.log). I've tried setting a logFileLocation in the manifest, but nothing gets created either.

What process do you need to follow when trying to debug?
Posted 14 Jun, 2018 10:09:13 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi letdowncrush,

You create a new add-in project supporting Word and register it using Add-in Express -> Register. This copies all required files (except for the main file: Add-inExpress.MSO.2005.dll) to bin\Debug. Then you make sure there's no WINWORD.EXE process running and start Word; find your add-in listed in File | Options | Add-ins. If your add-in isn't there, send me adxloader.log; check {Add-in Express installation folder}\Docs\adxnet.pdf.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 14 Jun, 2018 11:35:09 Top
letdowncrush

Thanks Andrei.

I've checked the PDF and it states that the default log folder is:

{user profile}\AppData\Local\Temp\<ProductName>\adxloader.log;

I've followed your instructions but it doesn't appear in Word and I can't see any registration logs either.

This is what my manifest looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
<assemblyIdentity name="MyAddin1, PublicKeyToken=59845c9350257de4" />
<loaderSettings generateLogFile="true" shadowCopyEnabled="false" privileges="user" minOfficeVersionSupported="14" />
</configuration>
Posted 14 Jun, 2018 11:59:23 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello,

adxloader.log missing means Word didn't try to load your add-in. Please check section Troubleshooting add-in loading. Does it contain anything resembling your symptoms?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 14 Jun, 2018 23:52:00 Top
letdowncrush

Hi

I had a look at:

https://www.add-in-express.com/docs/troubleshooting-tips.php#troubleshooting_add-in_registration

And can't spot anything obvious.

VS is running in admin mode, I've got permissions to the log location (tried different ones).

Does Add-In Express write to any log files if it can't register the add-in?

What's the next step?
Posted 15 Jun, 2018 03:30:31 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

I would like to access your PC remotely. Is this possible? If yes, I suggest using TeamViewer; in this case you'll need to send me your session ID and password to the support email address; see {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 15 Jun, 2018 05:54:43 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Please make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 15 Jun, 2018 05:55:13 Top
letdowncrush

Thanks.

Turns out it was due to using Resharper's build rather than Visual Studio's.

Switched back to Visual Studio and you get an Add-In Express popup stating whether the registration was successful.
Posted 15 Jun, 2018 07:43:20 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you!

Andrei Smolin
Posted 15 Jun, 2018 08:17:45 Top