Registering UDFs per user

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Registering UDFs per user

Ranjitha Nagendra

Hello team,

I understand that UDFs are per user thing and cannot be registered for all users. If we have to, we need to have an active setup. My question is, is having active setup is the only way to do?

Before using addin express, we had an addin with COM addin implementing IDTExtensibility2 and an automation addin by adding ComRegisterFunction to add Programmable key under HKCR\{clsid} as explained here:
https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/7753/Create-an-Automation-Add-In-for-Excel-using-NET

This seems to work for all users of the machine, Its listed under the Automation server, user can enable it and start working on it. All these were done without COM shimming (mscoree location for addins)

Is there a way we can achieve this?

Thanks in advance,
Ranjitha
Ranjitha
Posted 22 May, 2018 06:34:41 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Ranjitha,

Ranjitha Nagendra writes:
I understand that UDFs are per user thing and cannot be registered for all users. If we have to, we need to have an active setup. My question is, is having active setup is the only way to do?

An Excel user-defined function is *strictly* per user. That is, whatever bypass you research, it *must* end with registering the UDF for a given user. A UDF's registry entry missing in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\{Office version}.0\Excel\Options means Excel doesn't know about the UDF.

Ranjitha Nagendra writes:
This seems to work for all users of the machine, Its listed under the Automation server, user can enable it and start working on it.

An Excel Automation add-in has two sides, both of which must be registered in order for the add-in to work:
- COM object
- Excel UDF

You register the COM object as you like - per user or per machine, this doesn't make a real difference. You register the UDF strictly per user. On that page, item 2.c "NAddIn.Functions should be listed - select it. OK." directly requires the user to register that UDF; the registration is per user.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 22 May, 2018 07:21:49 Top