Excel Upload

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Excel Upload

Jamil Nawaz

Hi,

In my add-in, I have a requirement, to upload the current excel file to the Azure Blob Storage. I have couple of questions:

1) How can the current running excel be transfered to Azure (It might nothing to do with add-in express, but any thoughts on that?)? I mean when the excel is running, will it allow other API to access the file?
2) How can we force the current in memory changes? How we can force those to be saved to the disk, before starting upload process?

Regards,
Jamil
Posted 20 Apr, 2018 07:15:04 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Jamil,

You need to save the workbook - see Workbook.Save() - and close it - see Workbook.Close(). This lets Excel unlock the file in which the workbook is stored. Now you can transfer the file anywhere.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 20 Apr, 2018 07:21:18 Top
Jamil Nawaz

Hi Andrei Smolin,

In my case, we have a task pane from where we upload the file to process the data and then show the progress status in task pane. I were expecting that excel will allow to read it while it's running.

My other idea is, we can save the unsaved changes to the file (programmatically). And then create the copy of the file I think reading file as read-only and then creating a copy would not mind even the excel is running. And then upload that copy and remove it when upload done.

What do you think?

Regards,
Jamil
Posted 20 Apr, 2018 07:27:21 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Technically, this is okay.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 20 Apr, 2018 08:12:09 Top