Extending the "Save As" in the Office 2013-2016 Backstage View

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Extending the "Save As" in the Office 2013-2016 Backstage View

Pawel Forys

Hi,
I need to implement an Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) integration with custom back-end private document storage system. Key point of the integration would be extending "Save As" menu with another group besides "Computer" and "Other Web Locations". Does Add-in express offers to add additional menu items into this menu?
I have found following article (referring to Office 2010 only, but I assume it should work the same way in 2010+ versions): https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff709802(v=office.14).aspx, which speaks about extending menu via registry and implementing WebDAV or File Synchronization protocol server side, but this binds us to use the standard Office File Picker UI (which in theory could be fine, but there is high effort associated with implementing the WebDAV or File Sync protocol server side).
My idea at the moment would to have another item in the menu below "Other Web Locations" i.e. "My Private Cloud", which would open custom WPF window, where we could perform necessary requests to our back-end services in order to save the file. Is that possible with Add-in Express or raw VSTO Add-in development?
Posted 19 Mar, 2018 12:16:11 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Pawel,

Microsoft allows customizing the SaveAs tab (IdMso="TabSave") in Office 2013+; see https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vsod/2013/04/05/customizing-office-2013-backstage/. Add-in Express provides components for every XML element shown on that page e.g. ADXBackstageTaskFormGroup, ADXBackstageTaskFormGroupCategory, ADXBackstageTaskFormGroupTask, etc. That is, you re-create that XML in your add-in fairly easy. To check the XML created, see e.Xml in an event handler of the OnRibbonBeforeLoad event of the add-in module.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 20 Mar, 2018 04:41:13 Top