MSI Installer (ClickTwice) only updates if installed from .exe

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

MSI Installer (ClickTwice) only updates if installed from .exe

WIll Blackburn

Is it possible to have the MSI package check for updates when deployed via GPO and installed by the MSI directly. All attempts to do so have resulted in all checks for update flags returning false and no updates being checked for.

Basically when installed through GPO the following flags are set:

IsMsiAutoUpdateEnabled? False
IsMsiNetworkDeployed? False
IsMsiUpdatable? False
IsNetworkDeployed? False

Yet installing through the generated .exe ensures the auto-update flags are true, but our clients can't use the .exe to install through GPO.

Cheers
Will
Posted 06 Feb, 2018 12:45:41 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Will,

GPO is about updating MSIs by the admin itself. There probably exists some programming around this deployment model; I'm not sure.

Installing an .MSI differs from running the .EXE that ClickTwice generates: the .EXE orchestrates the update process and makes all the changes for the next update to work; the .MSI simply installs the new version.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 07 Feb, 2018 02:56:18 Top
WIll Blackburn

Thanks Andrei,

I'd misunderstood and thought the click-twice generated a method within Add-in that allowed the auto-updates, so thank you for clearing this up!

Does anyone know a programmatic solution to enable auto-updates from the plugin, for example on a button click event have it check for an update and then download the latest installer, or should I just hope that the clients using GPO are vigilant enough to keep things up to date?

Cheers
Will
Posted 07 Feb, 2018 04:32:19 Top
Carson

Why don't you use the ClickOnce option? That works great for deployment via GPO with auto-updates.
Posted 07 Feb, 2018 11:50:20 Top
WIll Blackburn

Hi Carson,

I publish both a ClickOnce and ClickTwice .exe, along with the MSI as a standalone. The client feedback is that they must use the MSI to be able to install it, I can only presume they are using MSI parameters to hide the installation from the user?

It's been a very long time since I did anything with GPO myself so I don't know what the reasons are that the client is against the .exe deployment...

I'll see if they can't be a bit more accommodating or at least explain their preference to using the MSI! I think based on Andrei's response I'll tell them that if they are sticking to the MSI installer that they will be responsible for keeping it up to date but using either of the .exe installers will enable the auto-update feature.

Cheers
Will
Posted 07 Feb, 2018 12:09:26 Top
Carson

We made an MSI that installs the ClickOnce install so we have the best of both worlds, controllable (we can force or not) auto-updates, no admin rights, works from GPO with auto-updates, no use of .exe at all.
Posted 07 Feb, 2018 13:49:15 Top
WIll Blackburn

Thanks Carson, I never considered that approach. It certainly makes a lot of sense!
Posted 08 Feb, 2018 04:22:49 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

WIll Blackburn writes:
Does anyone know a programmatic solution to enable auto-updates from the plugin, for example on a button click event have it check for an update and then download the latest installer

It appears, I know an answer :)

The very first step is: create a .MSI and publish it using ClickTwice. This allows you to give out a link to the downloader to your non-corporate customers. For the GPO installation, give the admin the .MSI published (only the .MSI file itself); doing this ensures ClickTwice and the .MSI refer to the same ProductCode. Once installed, your add-in can call an overload of the ADXAddinModule.CheckForMSIUpdates() that provides the parameter out ADXClickTwiceVersionInfo, analyze that information and call ADXAddinModule.LaunchMSIUpdates() to start updating the add-in (if there's a new installer published). Once an update is installed, the next add-in version will be updated using ClickTwice.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 09 Feb, 2018 07:20:39 Top
WIll Blackburn

Thanks Andrei, sounds straightforward enough I'll go do some testing now on it.

Can I just add, your forums and support from the team are great, I don't often have much to ask here but every time I have the answers have been helpful and/or understanding.

Cheers
Will
Posted 09 Feb, 2018 07:30:13 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you very much!

Andrei Smolin
Posted 09 Feb, 2018 07:53:52 Top