Why attachments might be treated as winmail.dat if encryption is turned on?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Why attachments might be treated as winmail.dat if encryption is turned on?
Just looking for ideas, as I have no way to testing this. 
Gutek Jakub

I have strange situation.

My plugin is reading and modifying body ot the email (before email is sent, just after email is created). additionally, when new attachment is added, it is saved and file properties are analysed and depending on this mail properties and body can change. So my code touches: mail.Body, WinWord Editor for email, attachments collection, attachment, mail properties.

If there are more then one files, all files are analysed.

This works OK. If you send email between outlooks or even to external user everything is ok.

However, email can be encrypted. And if email is encrypted, mail works perfectly between outlooks. But in TouchDown Mobile Symantec Client these mails are displayed as mails containing winmail.dat files and no attachments. Same email forwarded to Outlook user will open properly in outlook with all attachments.

Uninstalling/disabling plugin, makes encrypted email works on Touch Down mobile client.

What can be a cause of this behavior? any ideas?
Posted 13 Dec, 2017 10:31:14 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Jakub,

Gutek Jakub writes:
So my code touches: mail.Body, WinWord Editor for email, attachments collection, attachment, mail properties.

Do you create UserProperty objects? Or custom named properties using PropertyAccessor?

Does the email use a custom MessageClass and form?

Does this depend on the format of the message: plain text, HTML or RTF?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 14 Dec, 2017 06:12:42 Top
Gutek Jakub

Hi Andrei,

Do you create UserProperty objects? Or custom named properties using PropertyAccessor?

Yes, i'm using UserProperty - custom property that I add, update and remove if needed. I do not use PropertyAccessor.

Does the email use a custom MessageClass and form?

No, it does not.

Does this depend on the format of the message: plain text, HTML or RTF?

No, from users that are reporting this (I do not have access to mobile client they are using) anything they set (HTML, RTF, Plain Text) is causing an issue. But I know that exchange server might override their settings. Nerveless, the same override happens when my plugin is not present.

I wander if this might be also related to the why I'm updating emails. If emails is in plain text - im using mail.Body. But if its HTML or RTF I'm using build it Word Editor.

Kind regards
Posted 14 Dec, 2017 06:44:16 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Jakub,

Gutek Jakub writes:
Yes, i'm using UserProperty - custom property that I add, update and remove if needed.

Your issue is seemingly caused by that UserProperty(ies). To work around it, don't send a UserProperty; it only works within the same Exchange organization. Send a custom named property instead; see https://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=14156.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 15 Dec, 2017 02:21:32 Top
Gutek Jakub

Thanks Andrei, I've provided version without UserProperty to end user for testing. and if user will confirm it works I will implement given workaround.
Posted 15 Dec, 2017 05:22:59 Top
Gutek Jakub

Looks like this is an issue with UserProperties. I have provided to end user Named Property version instead and I'm waiting for confirmation.

thanks Andrei for help on this!
Posted 15 Dec, 2017 10:00:55 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

You are welcome!

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 Dec, 2017 02:59:17 Top
Gutek Jakub

just to let you know, user come back to say that its working now.

Thank you.

I would never thought that UserProperties can cause this kind of silly issues :(
Posted 18 Dec, 2017 07:22:07 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

This world is full of wonders

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 Dec, 2017 07:24:54 Top