Access to the path 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\AddinExpress' is denied.

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Access to the path 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\AddinExpress' is denied.

developer_cp

Hi,

My account recently got migrated to a different domain, and since then when I start Outlook, is not able to load my plugin anymore.

How can i fix it so that the plugin or Outlook has the rights to access that file?
Normally it should have access to it... I had no problem whatsoever before the account migration.
And besides, my account has admin rights to the machine (VM) that I'm running, so I don't see why it coulnd't access anything in TEMP.

If i manually browse to the location, I can, no problem though..

Another thing is that, the only file in that folder is ADXOlFormGeneral.html... I'm not sure how that file got there or whether it was generated by ADX.
Is there anywhere/anyway I could just move it somewhere else and make it point/search from my plugin installed directory?

PS: I just right clicked on the AddInExpress folder and inspected the Security tab, it is missing the permission for the new migrated user account. But I want to know is there a way to move this file else where? Or get rid of it somehow and replacing it with something more self-contain such as a file in the plugin directory instead?

PPS: Deleting the folder works as it gets recreated, however I still want to understand whether the location of this folder + file can be change.
Posted 13 Nov, 2017 12:35:56 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello,

There are two log files created at the registration time and while the add-in is being loaded: adxregistrator.log and adxloader.log correspondingly. You can modify the location of both logs; see these sections in the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC:
- Get details about add-in registration/unregistration;
- Get details about add-in loading.

What Add-in Express version are you using? What version of adxloader.dll/adxloader64.dll is used in your add-in?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 14 Nov, 2017 02:04:39 Top
developer_cp

But that folder has nothing to do with the logs though...
It contains a file named ADXOIFormGeneral.html and nothing else in the folder.
I don't use nor create this file in my project.

The version is 8.7.4430. Same thing for the dlls.
Posted 14 Nov, 2017 08:15:19 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

developer_cp writes:
since then when I start Outlook, is not able to load my plugin anymore.

I'm sorry, cam you provide a screenshot or video showing what occurs? Do you register the add-in and it produces an exception? Or, the add-in was registered and now it doesn't load? Maybe, your issue is: your add loads correctly but WebViewPane doesn't work?

ADXOlFormGeneral.html is generated by Add-in Express; this file is used only in the WebViewPane layout.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 14 Nov, 2017 08:43:04 Top
developer_cp

The add-in was registered successfully, it was loading perfectly fine.
Then the user migrated their account to a different domain.
Then the add-in stopped working.
In order to get the add-in to work again, we had to manually delete the folder C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\AddinExpress
Posted 16 Nov, 2017 15:12:01 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello,

We suppose that access to that folder was denied because of the account change. Deleting the folder let some software to create it and everything started working after this. Do you have an adxloader.log created while access was denied?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 17 Nov, 2017 05:14:21 Top
developer_cp

I don't have the adxloader.log anymore but there were no errors there, is just the same old successful install printouts in the log.
I'm not sure how the AddinExpress folder was created, but I think if the permission is set to Everyone by default, it would've been better.

PS: I did not "change the account" the account was only migrated to a different domain, I guess the Identity id and/or permission would be different in the new domain. Hence the original permission grated to the AddinExpress folder doesn't apply to the "new user" (same user but different credential id perhaps?) anymore.
Posted 20 Nov, 2017 10:54:06 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you for the great suggestion! Sorry it took so much time for me to understand this!

Andrei Smolin
Posted 21 Nov, 2017 08:09:43 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello,

developer_cp writes:
But that folder has nothing to do with the logs though... It contains a file named ADXOlFormGeneral.html and nothing else in the folder.

This means the Temp folder in your profile is set to that folder:

return Path.GetTempPath() + @"AddinExpress" + GeneralHTMLFileName();

We won't be able to fix this: to be able to set permission to Everyone, the host application must be run elevated, while by default it is started non-elevated.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 16 Feb, 2018 07:09:24 Top