SQL Address Book

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

SQL Address Book
How to provide Outlook users with Contacts from SQL 
Alex Abramov

Hello,

I am trying to allow users to choose an email contact from our contact databse (MS SQL Server) when creating/replying to emails in Outlook (OL2002)

What I would like to happen, is when a users clicks on the To: or CC: field in their new message inspector and opens the addresses dialog, an additional address book should be available which is populated from our custom database.

Any suggestions on how I should approach this issue?

TIA,

Alex
Posted 04 Oct, 2006 12:24:06 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Alex.

You can synchronize all contacts from the database with a special contact folder when Outlook starts. Then you will able to choose this folder from the 'Show Name from the:' field in the 'Select names' dialog.
Posted 04 Oct, 2006 17:52:18 Top
Alex Abramov

That's sort of what I do already, I synch on changes in the db. However, there are a bunch of issues with that method, and I would like to NOT synch, but rather provide the info on demand. I know a CRM called SalesLogix (by Sage) has an Outlook component that does that, but I don't know how they did it, so I was hoping to find a way to reproduce it myself.
Posted 05 Oct, 2006 08:52:07 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Alex, I am not sure but I think the component installs a custom form for Outlook messages. Try to find this form in the 'Design Form' dialog in Outlook.
Posted 05 Oct, 2006 09:57:19 Top