Windows explorer preview panel issue: Add-in not loaded

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Windows explorer preview panel issue: Add-in not loaded

Fabrice Durieu

Hello,

This post is for Andrei :-)

A customer have this problem (but with Word) and after a bit of search I found this:
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/fb72e113-c65c-4d79-8188-d3bb548939cc/excel-2010-com-addin-windows-7-preview-pane-issue?forum=exceldev

This is an old post (2011) but maybe you remember.

My customer is using Office 2013
I've tried to reproduce it using Office 2016 without success.

Do you know if it has been fixed ? Or since this post did you found any workaround ?

Thank you for your help !
Fabrice
Posted 15 May, 2017 12:52:23 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Fabrice,

I'm not aware of a fix or workaround.

Using the preview pane in Windows Explorer to look into an Office document starts the corresponding Office application behind the scenes; see the list of processes in the Task manager window. Closing the preview pane doesn't close that application; you need to close the Windows Explorer window to get the application closed.

In what way is your add-in affected?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 16 May, 2017 02:30:45 Top
Fabrice Durieu

The customer have the same problem than the one described on the topic linked:

1. He click on a word file in explorer ==> the explorer preview show the document (winword process started)
2. He then open the file (winword process reused) ==> our add-in is not loaded

I've not checked if this problem only happen after a 1st close of word (like in the linked topic)

In fact, when a winword opened by the preview is reused to open a document, our add-in is not loaded (it appear in the active but not loaded: no buttons in the ribbon). Seems that in fact no add-in is loaded at all, not only our add-in.
If the document is opened using a new winword, or reusing a winword NOT opened by the preview, there is no problem and our add-in is loaded.
Posted 16 May, 2017 03:08:21 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

I can't reproduce this issue using a simple add-in that calls System.Diagnostics.Debug.Writeline() in the AddinStartupComplete and OnRibbonBeforeCreate events to print a debug message; I use DebugView to collect the messages at run time; see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx).

Andrei Smolin
Posted 16 May, 2017 05:14:32 Top
Fabrice Durieu

Oki so I'll have to check this problem in details
On which Office version did you make this test ? Because the customer is using Office 2013 (x86).
Posted 16 May, 2017 06:44:27 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

I've used Office 2013 32bit. I suggest that your customer turns off all other COM add-ins. Make sure that Word template loaded don't contain code.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 16 May, 2017 06:59:14 Top