Can I Store Hidden Info in Excel

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Can I Store Hidden Info in Excel
Can I Store Hidden Info 
Michael Benowitz

Our add-in pulls info from sql. The sql server has multiple databases and I prompt the user for what database they want to read data from. Is there a way to store the database name in the spreadsheet where the user can't see the value.

Thanks

Mike
Posted 03 Feb, 2017 16:59:37 Top
Marcus Datascout

Hi Mike,

The 'cleanest' way I can think of to save small amounts of data in a spreadsheet is using custom workbook properties.

However, depending on you specific needs, even this approach may not be suitable.

For example, it makes the data you're storing, workbook specific. Also most users won't think to look at the custom workbook properties, but it is still accessible.

Not only is the data now document specific (if you don't have a given workbook open, the data will not be available) it also makes it difficult to manage that data when it is dispersed over (potentially) many workbooks.

For my add-ins I store data in a local relational database. I use MS SQL Server CE although there's many other choices such as SQLite, Access etc.

This centralises your data, provides a level of security (you can password protect & encrypt the database) and let's you store much more data than with document properties.

Cheers - Marcus
Posted 04 Feb, 2017 10:54:33 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you Marcus!

Hello Mike,

I agree with Marcus: although you can save some data to Workbook.CustomDocumentProperties (cast it to Office.DocumentProperties), the property will be accessible by the user. You can also create a worksheet and hide it using Worksheet.Visible=Excel.XlSheetVisibility.xlSheetVeryHidden; see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff821673.aspx. Still all such ways smell.

Michael Benowitz writes:
Is there a way to store the database name

I would suggest storing this info in a .config file.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 06 Feb, 2017 06:37:48 Top
Niels Ziegler

Depending on the type of data, you might also check out custom XML parts.

https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2013/08/23/custom-xml-parts-word-addins/
Posted 06 Feb, 2017 08:18:24 Top
Michael Benowitz

I think Marcus's idea will work best for me. It's actually a benefit if users can see what database the spreadsheet is associated with. It also means if the spreadsheet is shared with someone the database info will follow.

Any examples of setting custom spreadsheet properties.

Thanks,

Mike
Posted 06 Feb, 2017 09:38:56 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Mike,

See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff834990(v=office.15).aspx.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 07 Feb, 2017 10:13:09 Top