Time out for Excel function to return

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Time out for Excel function to return

nwein

Is it possible to limit the time Module.CallWorksheetFunction(ADXExcelWorksheetFunction.xxx) takes to return (within an XLL Module)?
I'm asking since I've noticed that if I call an external RTD (not one that I have control over), sometimes if it's in a bad state it can pretty much lock my execution and keep excel hanging indefinitely.
I'm not sure if introducing timers is a good idea but thought I'd ask first.

Thanks in advance!
Posted 27 Jan, 2017 15:55:30 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Nir,

When the function starts you can store the current time in a variable. In the code of the function, you can compare the current time with the time stored in the variable and decide what to do next.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 30 Jan, 2017 05:49:25 Top
nwein

This is not helping since the code hangs on the CallWorksheetFunction call.
e.g.:
public static object MyUdf(string myParam)
{
	var rtdValue = Module.CallWorksheetFunction(ADXExcelWorksheetFunction.Rtd, "external.rtd", string.Empty, myParam); // <-- hangs here

// do my own thing
}
Posted 30 Jan, 2017 10:42:18 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Nir,

If you don't have access to the code of that RTD server, there's nothing you can do about the issue.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 31 Jan, 2017 06:41:08 Top
OliverM

Would it be an option to start the UDF in its own thread and cancel/abort it, if there is no response in a given time?
Posted 01 Feb, 2017 04:35:29 Top
Dorel Sops

Thank you for the answer, but this seems to not solve my problem. Firstly there is a office customization possible (add items from a list), which is lost, second, I cannot add my custom one click push button to reproduce the existing functionality of the browse (file open dialog). The problem is the same: I do not know the type of the "Browse" button, if this class is implemented or not. I tried to add manually a lot of kind of button type in the parent control, but no success. Please send me some details, I need them for the customer to argue what is possible and what is not (customer wants a customized open file dialog to access external repositories, but with no or minimal changes to the office UI; no changes means to capture / replace the browse button, minimal changes to add a one click button under the standard "Browse").

Does the "Browse" button has a class implemented in the add-in express or not?
If yes, which is the corresponding class, if not is this an add-in express limitation, or an office one?
If it is an ad-din express limitation, may we hope for a future version which implements it?
Posted 01 Feb, 2017 06:38:55 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Dorel,

Please find my response at http://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=14347&MID=73527#message73527.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 01 Feb, 2017 08:09:42 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Oliver,

Note that a UDF is started by Excel, not by you.

Besides, Excel isn't multi-threading. There are some multi-threading features of XLL that are described. What you suggest to do isn't described and you can do this on your own risk only.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 01 Feb, 2017 08:14:06 Top