Advice for Web Control inside Excel Addin

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Advice for Web Control inside Excel Addin
Looking for advice or other options about web browsers and Excel 
David Berglin

Hello ADX

I am asking for help because I consider you the experts in Excel, and you have saved us in the past.
I am wondering if you know of a good alternative for using a web browser from within an Excel Addin
1) We need to interact with both the web browser?Â?Ð?és form and also the Excel model. (communication back and forth)
2) We are not able to use the built in .Net Browser Control (System.Windows.Form.WebBrowser) ?Â?Ð?? we do use it at times, but it won?Â?Ð?ét work in this case.
Posted 10 Jan, 2017 21:19:04 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello David,

Could you please explain why do you think System.Windows.Form.WebBrowser won't work for you?

If any sensitive info is involved, you can send me an email to the support email address; see {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt. Please make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 11 Jan, 2017 07:19:33 Top
David Berglin

We are using the WebBrowser control to successfully interact with our ADX Excel Addin. However, we have experienced several problems with it on client computers. These are usually javascript issues. For example, on some client computers, the javascript ".focus()" function is not supported, which is very odd. The next feature we are building relies heavily on javascript, so we are looking for another option that uses a more current browser engine. Thank you for taking some time to answer my question. ADX has been a great tool for us.
Posted 11 Jan, 2017 11:18:15 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello David,

Thank you for the kind words!

System.Windows.Form.WebBrowser is the only component which works more or less correctly. We've heard of another component - was it Chrome-related? - which worked even worse.

I suppose the issues that you have may be induced by the Javascript code, say, if the code isn't IE-specific. I suggest that you look in your Javascript code to find what causes the issues. For instance, you can simplify the code to find if focus() is really supported or not.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 12 Jan, 2017 08:05:57 Top
David Berglin

Thank you, again, for your input.
Posted 12 Jan, 2017 10:30:43 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

You are welcome!

Andrei Smolin
Posted 12 Jan, 2017 10:40:15 Top
Forrest

User added an image

Hi,Andrei, here is Forrest, from China. I try my best to describe in Eng.
I just had some similar confused issues about web browser,(may be not web browser) .
I had done an add-in, data_chart, interacting with both the web browser(like google map) and the Excel model.
as you know, it's not so convenient, several sheets for one pane/browser, when I try create one new chart I have to clear the last one, for there is just one pane, one browser.
So I wonder is there some method to create the chart like build-in chart with ADX? and the chart would be able to interact with the web(may be not browser, I just can't describe exactly, so I attached a photo.

I do know Office App can do this, but it's really hard to me.
It's really confuse me for a long time, hope has some good news...

Thanks.
enjoy life
Posted 14 Jan, 2017 13:45:54 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Forrest,

Forrest writes:
as you know, it's not so convenient, several sheets for one pane/browser, when I try create one new chart I have to clear the last one, for there is just one pane, one browser.

You can create one more pane showing a WebBrowser component.

Forrest writes:
So I wonder is there some method to create the chart like build-in chart with ADX?

Add-in Express doesn't contain anything that you could use to create a chart. You should create a chart using the Excel object model.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 16 Jan, 2017 05:49:55 Top
Marcus Datascout

Hello Forrest,

Are trying to display a chart on the pane?

If so, would this technique work for you?

Displaying A Chart In A Userform
http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/tip/displaying_a_chart_in_a_userform/

Displaying ?Â?Ð?ìlive?Â?Ð?í chart data in Excel Userform
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31598704/displaying-live-chart-data-in-excel-userform

Regards - Marcus
Posted 16 Jan, 2017 07:03:00 Top